What's new

Router as repeater or access point

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

andrew brown

New Around Here
I have internet via satellite link coupled to an archer C7 as master router. The ISP supplies DHCP and master router is set with dhcp off. I then connect via powerline adapters to another part of my house, then into a TLWR1043ND set up as a repeater, as i could not get to understand the set up for an access point.
One report on web says put ip in the master router range another says outside. I can access the router SLAVE with strong signal and security cameras connected to it by wire and wifi, but cannot connect back through the powerline to Internet. A TPLink article says put Slave IP as 192.168.2.1 where the master is 192.168.1.1?
Any one done this and got it to work who can show me where i am wrong please? I am a keen amateur over 60, so not full tech.

i followed this but still the slave router will not pick up web connection with master. could this be because the ISP set up Master with DHCP disabled and a dedicated ip address to connect to them. Should i look at setting the slave to same ip address?

There is no "master" and "slave". There is a router connected to the internet and a router converted to access point connected via Ethernet to the router.

The router serves DHCP. The Access Point must have an IP address in the same subnet as the router, but outside its DHCP server range.

If the router DCHP range is 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.100, then the AP can be set between 192.168.0.101 and 192.168.0.254

Thanks for this. However the main router has DHCP disabled on instruction from the ISP. They provide the ip address for each of my input devices.

The main router is set up 192.168.1.1 the disabled DHCP is set 192.168.1.100 - 199. the ISP set 192.16.1.205

i set the second router to 192.168.1.155 with DHCP diabled??

Thanks for this. However the main router has DHCP disabled on instruction from the ISP. They provide the ip address for each of my input devices.

The main router is set up 192.168.1.1 the disabled DHCP is set 192.168.1.100 - 199. the ISP set 192.16.1.205

i set the second router to 192.168.1.155 with DHCP diabled??

Yes, this is correct. However, WHAT DHCP range does the ISP provide for your devices? If the ISP is automatically 'serving' IP Addresses to the devices that are connecting, basically what DHCP is for, they will have a subnet and range of IP addresses to 'serve' from.

ISP "Router/Modem" - IP ADDRESS??? - DHCP Server Activated (By doing an IPCONFIG on a Windows machine, you'll find out the IP address of the Gateway, this ISP Routing device)

Your Router: 192.168.1.1 - Statically assigned IP address, yes? Was it set like this out of the box?

Your AP (Second Router): 192.168.1.155 - Statically assigned IP address, yes? Did you set this IP address yourself?

In this scenario, and in most basic network arrangements like this, you want to only have (1) DHCP server. So, if you want to keep this as is, confirm with the ISP what is the DHCP IP address Range. Or, are you able to do some basic IP and routing checking in the ISP Router/Modem?

Make sure that 192.168.1.1 is NOT in that range or the 192.168.1.155. Let's say they are using DHCP range of:

192.168.1.10 to 192.168.1.254 (Any device that sends a DHCP Request is 'Served' and IP address within this range)

If your 192.168.1.155 is Served to a Device, this will cause a conflict with your AP and neither your AP or the Device Served this IP address will work properly. That is a No No... The Statically assigned IP addresses are an 'Unknown' to the ISP Router/Modem DHCP Server. This is why you should be assigning your Routers 'OUTSIDE' of that "Serving tray", that DHCP range.

On the link Thiggins posted above, consider the ISP router as the 'Main' DHCP server, so, you'll be ACTUALLY looking at (2) AP setups, Your Router #1 and Your Router #2.

Hope that helps!

Do you have access to the ISP router?

Do you know what DHCP Range the ISP is using?

Can you make changes to the ISP router?

1Alpha

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!