What's new

Router for Gigapower 1GB internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Teecee33

New Around Here
I just recently upgraded to AT&T 1GB fiber internet. I noticed that when I was using my R7000 router my speeds maxed out at 400-600 mbps. But when I plug directly into my AT&T router, I get the full speed of 900-950 mbps. So I decided I would just use the AT&T router to do all of my DHCP/Firewall/DNS stuff. Everything was working good until I found out I cannot change the DNS servers on the router. I have kids and use OPENdns. I want it to be on the router level.

So I am looking for a router that can handle the 900+ mbps WAN speeds. I need to be able to manually set the DNS records. I would also like DHCP server and firewall built into the router. I would prefer if the router did not make any noise but it will be in a closet so it isnt that big of a deal. Budget is whatever works. I do not need wireless. I already have that taken care of. I have 15-20 devices on my network.

Any suggestions?

Thank you for your time.

it definitely will. It will require a lot of learning to configure but feel free to ask here for help. It does have a setup wizard but for security you will need to configure firewall.

The R7000 most definitely can handle a Gbps line, but it requires CTF hardware accel, and some features disable it

it definitely will. It will require a lot of learning to configure but feel free to ask here for help. It does have a setup wizard but for security you will need to configure firewall.

Would Pfsense offer more features than the CR router? Maybe some content filtering and pretty bandwidth graphs?

Yeah I would love to know how if you could share.

Any feature (like QoS for example) that needs to inspect packets, disables CTF as it's not compatible with it

mikrotik has graphs, they may not be pretty but both OS can do the same type of monitoring and filtering. However with mikrotik you have to manually add the features by using the firewall and features it has. With pfsense you need to install the software such as snort.

You may want to take a look at pfsense tutorials in doing things to get an idea of how easy or difficult it is. With mikrotik you need to install the dude server on the CCR to use their fancy network monitoring.

Mikrotik has layer 2 firewall which pfsense doesnt have but pfsense can install anti virus which mikrotik doesnt have.

You mean layer 7 right?
no i mean layer 2. It has layer 7 but it also has layer 2 firewall and NAT which can be accessed via bridging. You dont even need to bridge 2 interfaces, just attaching 1 interface to bridge and using your configuration on the bridge rather than physical interface allows you to do much.
edit: the layer 2 firewall can be used on any interface so no bridging needed. but it is accessed from the bridging section.

IN any event, yes pfSense (and any *BSD) can do Layer 2 firewall and routing... ask the Google, and you'll get a number of "how-to" articles on exactly how to do this...

I just recently upgraded to AT&T 1GB fiber internet. I noticed that when I was using my R7000 router my speeds maxed out at 400-600 mbps. But when I plug directly into my AT&T router, I get the full speed of 900-950 mbps. So I decided I would just use the AT&T router to do all of my DHCP/Firewall/DNS stuff. Everything was working good until I found out I cannot change the DNS servers on the router. I have kids and use OPENdns. I want it to be on the router level.

One thing I suggest - contact ATT directly and ask them about more options on the High Speed Broadband side - it's a valid ask... ATT needs to use their DNS for the "other services" like IPTV and PSTN (dial-tone) over VOIP, but it would be fairly straight forward for them to allow customers to over-ride DNS for the Broadband Internet Access side...

Right now the RG's do not allow for this, hence many of their customers are in similar situations to yours - wanting/needing to have more control over the internet inside the home/business...