What's new

Router for home user?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MajorHavoc

New Around Here
Hi, No0b here. Please recommend a router for me.
I'm looking for a wired router to connect to a 100+mbps cable modem. I will connect one wifi access point (UniFi AP-LR) and hard wire a few computers, Roku, smart TV's, etc. A total of about 6 connections.

Would a Cisco RV320 or Cisco RV042G be appropriate?

I am currently using a TP-Link RL860 that seems to cap my download speed at around 35 mbps.

Thank you!

The two Cisco's you mention are VPN routers. There are other routers on the market like pfesnse, ubiquiti and microtik, but they do require a background in networking, as they are prosumer / enterprise devices. Your TP-Link router is capping your link, as it has 100mb ports only. Have you considered at looking at the newer ASUS routers on the market today?

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/router-chooser/chooser

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/rankers/router/view

Thanks for the info, netwrks!
I would consider any router & will check the links (those seem to all be wireless) you provided. While I don't know about networking, I am willing to learn if that's what it takes to get a solid system up and working.

Thinking of something akin to one of the prosumer Asus's RT-AC68P or one of the beasts?... The RT87 or 3200 ... If you were to go this route.. id consider trying to find the P variant... slightly zippier cpu, better USB performance... sort of a 2.0 version of the AC68U/R/W hardware.. All of them can handle an external drive and have decent throughput.. Unlike most folks. your not buying these routers for their AC performance, but more for their processor and VPN ability. Mikrotik would work but I wouldnt call it user friendly, if your not afraid to be in pain since you seem to mention Cisco, you could always go for Unifi's Edgerouter Lite... But youd need another device for the 8+ ports you need.. Id consider one of the dell "webmanaged" switches.. aka Powerconnect.. solid piece of hardware and pretty reasonable even compared to consumer devices...

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I ended up with the Cisco RV325. Fairly easy setup and ports for all my connections.
Best of all, fast speed!

Excellent to hear. I've hoped Cisco SB would get their act together a bit more with the RVs, and it seems like the 325 is there, albeit after 4 firmware releases and 2 years... A bit pricey for the throughput numbers, but well supported by the OEM -- something to be said for that, depending on the use case. :)

Last edited:
i normally would suggest against the cisco rv because stability wise its not as good (it has the same stability as a consumer router). It uses the same CPU that ubiquiti uses in their edgerouters.

If you have the skill the enterprise class routers are a really good choice (the cisco rv is not an enterprise class, it is a consumer class). Otherwise go with a consumer router that suits your needs. A MIPS based router from asus can do 100Mb/s software as they've improved their firmware compared to tp-link and their CPU runs faster too. Dual core ARM A9 routers like the asus AC56U, AC68U, netgeart r7000, linksys wrt1900 are all good routers though on the higher end a bit. The netgear does better with a merlin firmware fork which gives you asus firmware features and GUI.