What's new

Router Guide

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheOldMan

I'm not sure anyone posted this router guide in the past. I find it helpful to read this guide to understand what your router is capable of doing. Instead of asking why this or that doesn't work, this guide explains a lot of things.

http://routerguide.net/

It has been referenced many times. ;)

pretty ugly looking web site at that lol , looks like the admin is pre teen wannabe , i mean seriously it aint that hard to wack together a decent looking and intuitive web site
I seems to get the job done to me. Information minus the glitz. It's just free info for newbies. If someone is that new to this basic information, I doubt a more glamorous Web page is going to provide any added benefit to the user. At least someone took the time to make a newbie one stop shop router guide. Maybe you could email the admin and offer your free Web design services! If your too busy, maybe he/she is also.

Last edited:
pretty ugly looking web site at that lol , looks like the admin is pre teen wannabe , i mean seriously it aint that hard to wack together a decent looking and intuitive web site

Eek... I'd hesitate to criticize, especially because you are criticizing the form rather than the function. The site does have good information.

Similarly, your post includes numerous grammar & punctuation errors... do I judge your post by the mistakes or the general message you intend to share? The latter, hopefully.

Thanks: if I'd come across this before it's so long ago I'd forgotten. I now understand what NAT Acceleration is and when to use, or not use, it (and why Nullity recently described it as "proprietary magic").

Last edited:
To me a website is 'ugly' when it doesn't let me get to the information I am searching to find.

Most 'beautiful' websites are horrendous at that basic and primary goal.

Site isn't that ugly - it does have kind of a retro vibe, but at least it's not GeoCities ;)

there's good info, some of it is perhaps outdated, and most of what is there, it's also in the collective hive-mind here on the SNB forums

Literally....notepad.

Notepad is fine, as long you know what you're doing (over the years I've done the majority of my HTML coding through such a simple text editor). Word would insert a bunch of senseless metadata and weird style attributes all over the file when using it to generate an HTML file.

Sublime Text (Windows) and Nano (Linux) are awesome.

Last edited:
gvim - also consider Notepad++ (which is free).

BBEdit/TextWrangler on Mac (same company, BBEdit is the big version) are very good.

vim/gvim also my favorite.

Have been using it daily for a very long time. Minimalist yet dense and feature rich.

Never learned to like Emacs.