What's new

Router newbie needing forwarding advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Slider5150

New Around Here
Hi.
I have a AC87 that I just got Merlin running on. Quite fast btw. I have a my entire network behind it right now, connected via OpenVPN to PIA on Client1. I have a FireTV that appears to be running fine. I am looking at getting a Roku, and would like to dedicate 1 cable port on the back of the AC87 to it.

My goal is to evade the blackouts involving a little round ball. Since I already have PIA, I would like to first try to VPN the Roku to England, where there are no blackouts, while at the same time keeping the rest of my network VPNed to a US location. If that worked, sweet! If that didn't (and their blackout checker comes up with a mystery IP that puts me in New Jersey while I am in Colorado VPNing thru England), then I would try going strait out and using unblock-us to evade the blackouts. Unblock-us validates accounts with your IP address, so if I stay behind the VPN, then every time my ip changes I would have to log in and reset to the new IP....

I know almost nothing about routers. I learn at a reasonable pace. But really, how much am I biting off here? Is this the work of a couple of hours? OR am I signing up for a second job?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance for the help!

To accomplish what you want is probably not possible, ie. having two separate VPN server connections on a single router.

In general selective routing is a fairly involved process. If you search the site you will find scripts that have been written and shared that will allow routing some devices by the local ISP and other devices using a single VPN server. I don't ever remember seeing scripts and iptables that will allow two VPN connections.

Even if it is possible I doubt your router or any other SOHO router has the processing power to run two VPNs simultaneously.

My suggestion is that you use at least two routers double NATed. One set up to run one VPN the other for the second VPN. Even with two routers it is going to be a process.

Good luck!

What is the proper name for what I am trying to do? (so I can search the boards easier...)

Thanks!

Well, it looks like my needs are changing. I am going to have to do something a bit different. I am going to need to set up my older router to go strait out, and keep my newer router running on the VPN. I am using VOIP, and since I started running thru the VPN router, my call quality has taken an unacceptable hit. I am getting great speeds, 50Mbps down and 5 Mbps up, but the calls are cutting in and out a bit. Turn off the VPN, and it works fine. So it looks like I am going to have to set this up, I am guessing, with the older router connected to the modem and the vpn router from WAN to LAN on the older router. That should be significantly easier right? And because the older router is decent and not doing any encryption for the VPN router, I shouldn't see a slowdown in speeds thru the VPN right?

So here is what I have done. I have put an old DLink DIR825 between my AC87 and the cable Modem. LAN from DLink to WAN of AC87. DLink is 192.168.0.1. I went into the DLink and statically assigned 192.168.0.2 to my AC87. On the LAN side of the AC87, it is 192.168.1.1. Then I TRIED to set up a route to my AC87. Destination 192.168.1.0 Netmask 255.255.255.0 Gateway 192.168.0.2. Metric 1. Then the Interface. Gee, this POS won't let me choose anything but WAN. Seriously? Kept kicking me an error. So a bit of googleing, and I right-clicked on the selection box. The code for the page had the selection button code for LAN in there but commented out. I removed the commenting, and then selected LAN, then hit save. It saved. Now the box is empty, of course, but I think it is working. The html isn't happy, as it wants me to pick something, so there is no changing anything there now without some re-working. Think I will leave that alone. I saved the settings to a file.

Anyways, my D-Link should be strait out to the net. I have put my Analog Telephone Adapter on one of the other LAN ports. Needs more testing to see if it is working cleaner than when it was behind the AC87 running OpenVPN.

The rest of the network is behind the AC87 running OpenVPN. From testing, it appears to be running like normal. IP tests come out in the right place. DNS leak testing reports no DNS leaking. No change in speedtest results.

On the AC87, running Merlin of course, I have set the WAN connection type to Static IP 192.168.0.2. Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0. I set the default gateway to 192.168.0.1.

Is there anything else I need to set on the AC87? It seems to be running great?!? But it can't be this easy, can it?