What's new

Router or RaspPi that can act as permanent Master Browser

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

smitbret

Occasional Visitor
First, the questions....

Is there a router, other than Western Digital MyNet series, that has an option to force the router to be the Master Browser in a network?

If not, where would I find information on setting up a RaspPi to be always on and whose sole function is to control the Master Browser function on my home's SAMBA network?

Background
I've been on a multi-year quest for simpler, easier linking and short-cutting between the Windows and Linux devices in my home. I like being able to pop into "Computer" and being able to just click the PC in the workgroup and have it open up the shared folders on the remote device. More often than not, some devices appear and others are missing. I can still access the shared folders by typing in the PC name in the address bar so file permissions are not an issue at all. The biggest problem is that typing the PC name doesn't work for context menus inside of apps. If I wanna rip a DVD to the shared folder on my server, I have to save it locally and then cut and paste it from explorer. I have been getting by with placing shortcuts to the devices on the desktop but that works with some apps but not others.

I have had varying degrees of success with Registry Tweaks, disabling Browser Service and changing OS levels in the different machines but the only thing that has ever worked consistently is setting my Western Digital MyNet N900 router as the Master Browser. Doing this always works. Unfortunately, this router has a problem maintaining a WAN connection and needs to be rebooted every 24-72 hours when all of the connected devices lose their internet connection.

Right now, I have disabled the WiFi on the MyNet N900 and use a TP-Link Archer C7 as an Access Point. I have used a D-Link DIR-825 and an Asus RT-AC68U as my router to see if that made a difference as far as LAN stability but none of those routers have the option to be the Master Browser, either and I get the same inconsistent results.

I wouldn't mind finding a router (WiFi or not) that is stable and offers the same Master Browser option as the MyNet N900 but it also needs to be wall mountable as I lack shelf/desktop space to place the router. I am considering something like the NetGear Nighthawk series or looking at one of the newer Linksys AC routers but after browsing their manuals online I see no mention of the function I am looking for. Browsing the DD-WRT Wiki seems to suggest it is no better.

My other option, maybe even preferable, would be to dump the MyNet n900 altogether and just use the TP-Link Archer C7 as it is my favored router of the 4 I mentioned and replace the AP with a switch. I have a Raspberry Pi lying around collecting dust. Does anyone know how or where I could find info on setting up the RaspPi to just plug into my network and just act as an always on device that acts as the Master Browser? I have found lots of little forum posts around the web that seem to hint about it but I am a Windows user and Command Line is foreign to me unless I have a step-by-step guide in front of me. All of the mentions of Debian and things like that are right over my head. I am good enough to SSH into my OpenELEC HTPCs and modify those Linux based devices so I not an idiot but I need some pretty basic help for setting the Pi up like this.

many routers even consumer ones nowadays already has samba except for tp-link routers due to their slower CPU. tp-link doesnt use SAMBA but they use a direct networked device access that allows a single client to access a piece of hardware on the router so the router's CPU doesnt have to deal with protocols and other CPU intensive things.

There isnt central access in SAMBA but if you need control one device acts as a proxy and accounting in that it uses a networked device from somewhere else but with the access control done from the device itself. Aside from accounting there is no other use for this because a SAMBA appears automatically on both windows and linux whenever it is online in the network. Using a raspberry pi is a bad idea for this because it lacks the CPU power (raspberry pi 2 could though).

If you want to use access control than you need to configure the network file sharing on each of the device hosting files and set it only to access from the control server which can than share it using SAMBA or some other file sharing protocol.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!