What's new

Router Overheating (with usb attached storage)?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wes211

New Around Here
I currently own an Asus ac87u with the Asuswrt-Merlin version 380.61 with a 5tb usb hard drive attached via usb 3.0. I also run the Astrill vpn service off the router. Okay to the issue, when I do back up to the usb hard drive using the Acronis software the router seems to go down where I have to reset it. I think it is overheating because the temperature read 49 c on 2.4ghz, 68 c on 5ghz and 82 c on the cpu on normal use without Acronis doing a back to the usb hardrive. The cpu being at 82 c seems kind of high and doing the back up with Acronis software makes me think it is the straw that breaks the camel's back. Thank you for your time and help.

these tend to run warm in any event - maybe consider not doing the USB attached storage, and the VPN service adds to the overall CPU loading...

I currently own an Asus ac87u with the Asuswrt-Merlin version 380.61 with a 5tb usb hard drive attached via usb 3.0. I also run the Astrill vpn service off the router. Okay to the issue, when I do back up to the usb hard drive using the Acronis software the router seems to go down where I have to reset it. I think it is overheating because the temperature read 49 c on 2.4ghz, 68 c on 5ghz and 82 c on the cpu on normal use without Acronis doing a back to the usb hardrive. The cpu being at 82 c seems kind of high and doing the back up with Acronis software makes me think it is the straw that breaks the camel's back. Thank you for your time and help.
Its not your temperature, I had similar issue with a 3TB WD, Try the other USB port.
Certain drives won't work properly with interference, that's why they even have a filter on the 3.0
I never used the Filter but switching USB inputs helped fix this problem.