What's new

Router Pre Purchase Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jkbmjp

Regular Contributor
I am looking at the Nighthawk router to buy but I have a few questions. Before I ask my questions, I am a previous Linksys 1900ac and Asus AC3200 owner. Currently, I am using the Linksys AC router.

I am an Apple guy. I love my Apple products including Mac Minis, iOS, ATV, Time Capsule, Airport Express and Airport Extreme. The Linksys AC router is compatible with ALL iOS devices and Apple desktops. I never had one problem with using the iOS devices on the Linksys router. On the other hand, Asus AC router is NOT compatible with iOS devices. I have had nothing but problems with using iOS devices on the Asus router including wireless disruption and disconnects

I like the parental controls, firewall, traffic monitor, etc..that Asus routers have to offer. I don't like parental controls that Linksys has to offer. They are too basic and doesn't offer enough information to about each device.

My question is on the Security features on the Nighthawk or other Netgear router.

1. Is there a "demo" site that I can view a live version of the Nighthawk router?

2. How good are the parental controls (Time Schedule, Website blocking, etc..)?

3. Does the Nighthawk router provide a realtime traffic monitor/analyzer to view which sites are being accessed? (I am not talking about view the stats in a log. The Asus router has this feature builtin to there firmware).

4. Has anyone experienced any iOS disconnects or wireless disruptions while connected to the Nighthawk?

Any other helpful information about this router is appreciated.

Your answers don't make any sense and respond with a clear answer. I don't have a Netgear router. This is why I am asking specific questions regarding the Nighthawk router. Therefore, I have not tested any Apple products specifically iOS devices against ANY Netgear routers in particular the Nighthawk router. I don't want to spend the money on a Nighthawk router only to find out they I will have problems with iOS devices and this router.

This is why I am asking specific questions regarding the Nighthawk router.

so which one ???

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/

nighthawk x8 R8500

nighthawk ac3200 r8000

nighthawk x4s r7800

nighthawk x4 r7500

nighthawk 1900ac r7000

so does it make sense now they are all nighthawks

I don't want to spend the money on a Nighthawk router only to find out they I will have problems with iOS devices and this router.

i have tested a few of the above and they all seem to work with mac devices like ipads and iphones

the issues regarding ios is it dam disregard for normal network connectivity in most cases there is a work around if some devices dont play well with regard to ios

Last edited:
so which one ???

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/

nighthawk x8 R8500

nighthawk ac3200 r8000

nighthawk x4s r7800

nighthawk x4 r7500

nighthawk 1900ac r7000

so does it make sense now they are all nighthawks

i have tested a few of the above and they all seem to work with mac devices like ipads and iphones

the issues regarding ios is it dam disregard for normal network connectivity in most cases there is a work around if some devices dont play well with regard to ios
R7800 at this time has issues with some iPads and iPhones, a patch is rolling out in June that a few of us tested which fixes the issue. If you have a iPhone 6s or Ipad Air 2 onwards you may have issues with the R7800 I need to reboot mine to keep wifi calling working if I leave my home and return or reboot my iPhone it fails, and also has issues connecting, its a bit of a mess. The R7000 even though its had quite a few beta firmware releases since they pulled the latest two versions of its firmware and rolled back to one with a minor security vulnerability works fine with iOS devices. Cant comment on the rest.

There is no demo site.

Best to buy one, try it and return if it doesn't work for you.

Parental controls are based on OpenDNS.