What's new

Router problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OutOfBand

New Around Here
Hello i am hoping some one may be able to shed some light on my problem.
I bought a RT-AC66U 6 weeks ago, and up until last Saturday, it has been working just fine. But the last two days, i have problems with my internet connection, where it would disconnect and reconnect. I thought it was my isp at first, but i noticed that my wireless devices were also losing connection at the same time as my pcs (which are wired).
I downloaded the latest firmware and flashed it, and still no change.

To check if it was my isp or the router, i connected the modem directly to my pc, and have had no connection problem, but as soon as i reconnect the router, it drops connection again.
It also is happening every minutes, and not just a couple of times during the day.
Does anyone have an idea what may be wrong, i am hoping my router is faulty and needs to be replaced
I also tried accesing the router on my other pc, without the internet connected, and still experienced constant disconnects

Hi,
Most likely HW fault if you have not changed any settings lately.
If the drops outs are very regular, meaning fixed intervals it is the router, otherwise could also be the power supply.
If you happen to have another powersuply for the same model (a long shot) try that.
Cheers

MAke sure you have GRO support disabled on the LAN -> Switch Control page, as otherwise it can cause your router to randomly reboot.

Thanks for the replies guys.
I have searche for the gro setting, but it is not present under advanced>lan>switch control, i have tried looking elsewhere, but the fact that it disconnect so often makes searching through the router gui frustratingly slow.
I have checked that the cables are cat 5 compliant, (which they are), and i also have tested the power supply as rock solid 19.35 volts, which i assume is within the 19v as specified on the psu.
Other than that, i can only assume it is a hardware fault of some description, and most likely RMA it

Here's shot in the dark, since there's not much diagnostic info to work with, but start by checking the status of your DHCP lease (on the network map page with the Internet (WAN) status selected). If the lease time is short you might consider having your ISP remotely reboot the modem. It's helped me under similar circumstances.

Last edited:
Awww thansk for this informaiton i was also suffering from same this problem but some of sifferne tthat my router is automatically on and off after 5 mints and unpluged my network cable anyways this si good thread to get infroamtion thanks for this have a nice day...

I have a similar issue with a RT-N66U. Devices connected to it lose the ability to access the internal network as well as the Internet after a short period.

I can check the wireless signal and it is strong and devices still connect to it. For whatever reason it just stops communicating.

My previous router, an older Linksys that I can't remember the model number of, never had this issue and was configured in the same fashion as the RT. In fact I can connect the old router and it will work fine for days. I only replaced it as it was a G only router and I wanted something with N capability.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!