What's new

Router Ranker test method?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

speedlever

Regular Contributor
I notice that in the AC1200 class routers, using test method rev 7 vs test method rev 8 completely changes the rankings.

What is the difference between the test methods that influences the rankings?

In total router, test method rev 7, the RT-AC56U comes out on top. In test method rev 8, the RT-AC56U doesn't even show on the list. So how should a prospective buyer use the RR in order to help make an informed choice?

I think @thiggins tests them in an enclosed metal box to see what they're capable off and bridges 2 of the same wifi.

For router its the usual NAT performance tester. It would be nice if he would actually test the software NAT performance too. He even has usb NAS performance for some.

SEM, that's good info, but how should one use the RR to sort through the offerings? I still have no clue what rev 7 and rev 8 refer to from a testing standpoint and how that would affect a buyer's decision.

I notice that in the AC1200 class routers, using test method rev 7 vs test method rev 8 completely changes the rankings.

What is the difference between the test methods that influences the rankings?

In total router, test method rev 7, the RT-AC56U comes out on top. In test method rev 8, the RT-AC56U doesn't even show on the list. So how should a prospective buyer use the RR in order to help make an informed choice?
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-howto/32478-how-we-test-wireless-products-revison-8
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-howto/32082-how-we-test-wireless-products-revison-7

Biggest change was test client. Version 7 used ASUS PCE-66U AC1750 PCIe adapter. Version 8 uses a NETGEAR R7000 AC1900 in bridge mode.

You can't fairly compare results between test methods.

Thank you Tim.

Well, if you can't fairly compare results between test methods, what guidance do you offer prospective buyers?

Thank you Tim.

Well, if you can't fairly compare results between test methods, what guidance do you offer prospective buyers?
Use the default view for the class you're considering. It will have the most recent products.
The only way to compare between different processes is to use the ranker for each process, choose a product from each, and buy and try.