What's new

Router Recommendations for up to 5000 sq. ft. WiFi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

randomName

Very Senior Member
I'm looking for a router that will cover 5000 sq. ft. Most of it will be WiFi. Is one enough or will I need a repeater? Must have Merlin support and be supported for longevity.

EDIT: this isn't for my home (86u), it will be for a client/customer. Sorry, should have clarified in this post.

Last edited:
I'm looking for a router that will cover 5000 sq. ft. Most of it will be WiFi. Is one enough or will I need a repeater? Must have Merlin support and be supported for longevity.

I think you will need more than one access point. Just as an example, I have a 2600 sq ft, three level home, and I use three Asus devices in an aimesh setup to cover everything well. I have an AX88U, an AC88U, and a AC68U.

I use Ethernet for everything in the house that has an Ethernet port, including the back haul between the access points.

Last edited:

I believe that is too much sq ft for a single router to cover unless that is all on one floor and not multiple.

You will need to look at either a Mesh network setup, or hardwired access points.

If it were two routers; which would be the best with the longest Merlin support?

If it were two routers; which would be the best with the longest Merlin support?

I believe the AX88U would have to one of them. Not sure what the second would be.

Edit: on second read maybe I didn’t understand your question correctly. I’d still guess the AX88U but others may have a different opinion.

While it is still early days for wifi6 offerings, the Asus AX series routers will likely serve your needs at least adequately for the next 5years, especially running Merlin’s firmware and the associated scripts. By then, who knows what will have changed technologically, not to mention how your needs and desires will evolve. If you believe your needs might (or the technology will) change sooner than 5years from now, I would suggest the ac86u, again a number of them in a mesh arrangement suitable to the wireless coverage you require.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@randomName what are your ISP speeds? What is the construction of your home? How well does your current RT-AC86U cover it?

Forget about using a 'repeater'. That will worsen your WiFi experience if the repeater is heavily used (as I assume it would be).

Depending on your specific environment, 5000SqFt coverage is possible with a single router even from 2016. :)

RT-AC3100 Report https://www.snbforums.com/threads/s...-go-with-the-rt-ac1900p-v3.34748/#post-281391

If you were to add a second RT-AC86U to your network in AiMesh mode you should see very good coverage from that simple upgrade, assuming that the single RT-AC86U is currently just shy of providing the coverage you require.

Going to the RT-AX88U, you should be seeing an even bigger jump (but I would be using the 'AX88U as the main router and your existing RT-AC86U as the AiMesh node) in network performance.

A possible 'in-between' step to the next option may be an RT-AX88U and an RT-AX58U to be used as an AiMesh node (if needed). Sell the RT-AC86U and upgrade your entire network to 'AX for almost 'just' the cost of an RT-AX88U. :)

With 2x RT-AX88U's (in a wired AiMesh setup, if possible) you should be seeing the best possible throughput, stability, reliability and coverage of your home. If needed, you can still add the current RT-AC86U to light up specific areas too (i.e. the back garden). Or, go 'AX all the way and add an RT-AX58U here too (again; only if needed).

Even the single RT-AX88U used as the main router will give you further benefits over an additional RT-AC86U.
  • Twice the RAM.
  • Twice the cores (useful for scripts, multiple OpenVPN connections, etc.).
  • Observed better throughput at equal or greater range.
  • 4x external antennae (vs a 'hidden' one in the 'AC86U).
HTH. :)

The client purchased Cox Gigablast and they've been using a cable modem router combo (1 piece) the past few years. I suggested they separate the cable modem from the router, and get a Merlin supported router.

EDIT: The hardware I'm going to suggest will be the Broadcom BCM3390, preferably in the MB8600, and the AX-88U. That should be a great start.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!