What's new

Router Requirements for LAG

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kirb112

Occasional Visitor
If I were running an Asus RT-AC68U wireless router (which I don't believe supports LAG out of the box), am I able to take full advantage of a switch such as the TP-LINK TL-SG1016DE to meet my LAG needs?

Basically, I am asking if the router needs to support LAG in order for the switch to function in this capacity. I have a somewhat familiarity of layer 2 and layer 3 devices. If my understanding is correct, I can utilize this setup because switching is does at the layer 2 level, allowing me to hookup my NAS and any other devices that I would like to run in LAG to the TL-SG1016DE switch.

Guidance would be appreciated.

No, the router doesn't need to support LAG/LACP for the switch to connect properly between itself and any other LAG/LACP-enabled device(s) behind it.

If proper link aggregation between router and switch is still desirable for whatever reason, then I'd purchase a router that supports it out-of-the-box, and not depend on some open-source firmware + consumer router combo to pull it off -- unless of course it's well-reputed enough to be a working solution...

you dont need much requirements for lag, high latencies will do :p

There are many types of LACP. If a device doesnt support it the best you can do is failover. Make sure the switch supports the LACP you intend to use with the device (on inexpensive switches this differs significantly even within the same model line). You will need STP (newer ones are better like RSTP and cisco STP variants). Perhaps reading the switch's datasheet can help.

Wow - LAG does seem to be a topic these days...

And that's ok - just consider that one is introducing additional complexity for little benefit in most small networks...