What's new

Router running as openvpn client

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

banz

Regular Contributor
I got the asus router running a openvpn client. It has picked up an ip address of say 192.168.100.10.

I want the other openvpn clients to be able to access the router http web interface and ssh. Mostly so I can manage the router but I don't want to open it up to the outside world.

How do I do it? On the openvpn server, I did a nmap scan on the router openvpn ip and it doesn't see any ports open nor does it respond to ping.

When you want to connect to your router from outside internet, you need to run a "VPN Server" on your router.
The device you connect to from outside internet is the "VPN Client". Hope that helps.

Apologies if I'm being unclear. Yes the router is running as a openvpn client. I have an openvpn server where the ddwrt connects to it as a client. I then have other clients on the openvpn server where I want to connect to the router to do management stuff. The other clients on the openvpn server can see each other but just not the ddwrt router, so I'm guessing the f/w or something on the router is blocking it. Or perhaps it doesn't have a default route setup correctly.

So if I understand correctly, you try to connect over the internet to a remote OpenVPN Server from your Asus (client) router?

You could first try to run OpenVPN on the device that you want to use through the Asus router to manage the remote server and see if that works.

Apologies if I'm being unclear. Yes the router is running as a openvpn client. I have an openvpn server where the ddwrt connects to it as a client. I then have other clients on the openvpn server where I want to connect to the router to do management stuff. The other clients on the openvpn server can see each other but just not the ddwrt router, so I'm guessing the f/w or something on the router is blocking it. Or perhaps it doesn't have a default route setup correctly.
Your Server that you are running is it ASUS router? the clients that connect to that Server are they Windows PC? a lot of people have a problem seeing other computers networks that are connected to the server which you seem to have no issues with, this is why I am curious. As far as your WW WRT box not showing its network to the other pcs could be firmware limitations or features are not compatible with your Server.

My openvpn server is on a linux box. The router is a openvpn client. that connects t othe linux box. The clients are mixture of macs and pcs.

I route all my asus router traffic through the openvpn linux box. The linux box can see the router vpn ip address but is not able to ping it. Whereas the linux box can ping other openvpn PC's and macs. So I'm guessing the router is blocking it.

Last edited:
My openvpn server is on a linux box. The router is a openvpn client. that connects t othe linux box. The clients are mixture of macs and pcs.

I route all my asus router traffic through the openvpn linux box. The linux box can see the router vpn ip address but is not able to ping it. Whereas the linux box can ping other openvpn PC's and macs. So I'm guessing the router is blocking it.
Looks like it is blocking it. Ping is not always effective because firewalls can block it.
The best way to check is by trying a network share from a samba server. if you can see it then it works.

or disable the firewall from the VPN clients router and see if it works.
if the VPN router is only on the LAN and doesnt have ISP on the WAN port then you can disable the routers firewall alltogether