What's new

Router security holes paper

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

alternety

Regular Contributor
This is a paper I thought some of you might be interested in. It is way above my pay grade. I am but one of the unwashed masses of router users (although I have welcomed Merlin into my router for a long time).

Basically, pretty much every SOHO, SMB router is ridled with security holes; which are being rather ignored by manufacturers. It shows at least one Asus exploit.

securityevaluators.com/knowledge/presentations/Holcomb_ISE_SOHO_DefCon.pdf

This is the article I took that link from.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/03/05/broadband_routers_sohopeless_and_vendors_dont_care/?page=1

Last edited:
Security is an illusion. It is safe to assume you are never completely secure.

If your router is firewalled from the outside world, you are safe enough.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Security is an illusion. It is safe to assume you are never completely secure.

If your router is firewalled from the outside world, you are safe enough.

Thanks for the heads-up!

I just added the source article link where I got the initial link. I really believe that your statement is not actually correct.

To Asus's credit, I see them issuing frequent updates that do include security fixes, since they got bit last year by the AiCloud issues. That's at least one SOHO router manufacturers who have upped their game in the security aspect.

I just added the source article link where I got the initial link. I really believe that your statement is not actually correct.

Remotely exploitable bugs are a really big deal. Everything I read in the paper assumed access to the machine. If the device is completely firewalled there is no access.

If they remotely exploited the Linux firewall Asus uses that would be a huge problem that would affect far more devices than just routers.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!