What's new

Router that can support google cloud printer...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Raga

Occasional Visitor
Hi, guys, as i have toasted my old asus rtn66u router, Am looking to buy a new router that can support google cloud printing, i wish to buy rtn66u, but it doesn't support cloud printing over usb,so pls recommend any router from any brand less than 205$ , i want this router to be as powerful in range as rtn66u though i dnt use 5ghz so lower model is not issue but 2.4 ghz must have very good range, and can support google cloud print and support ddns from no-ip and must be very stable at ppoe connection my old rtn66u kept on failing maintaining a stable connection with the modem with snr D:40 & U: 20 i had to keep on rebooting the router. so idnt want such issue.. pls recommend any ..thank you..

Per this link (https://support.google.com/cloudprint/answer/1686197?vid=0-635785446911176913-3880002416) Google Cloud Print should not be dependent on the brand/model of router; rather, on either the printer itself being Cloud Print enabled, or if it's not, being connected to a Mac or PC (with Windows XP SP3 or later) with Chrome installed, which is powered on, connected to the router's network, has the printer installed and confirmed working as a normal printer. That's all it should take (besides then going into Chrome and following the rest of the instructions to "add" your printer to the list of printers).

As to increasing 2.4Ghz range, SNB's router ranker for 2.4Ghz range currently lists the Netgear R7000 as having the best results there. If you want to stay with an Asus, the RT-AC68U follows closely behind in second place, tied with the Linksys WRT1900AC. If any/all of those three don't cut it, then most likely you're going to have to wire in an additional access point(s) to cover the area(s) of weak reception.

Thank you, i know google cloud print is based on google login and combined with chrome it can support a classic printer when a job is added chrome prints the job no matter from where i sent it, but the issue is i had to keep my pc online always but the router is always in "on" 24x7 , so if any third party firmware can support like tomato usb or ddwrt the router must be also compatible right thats why i asked for it..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotcha, I see now. I couldn't come up with any routers besides perhaps Google's newly-released OnHub router, but quite honestly I wouldn't buy OnHub just for the possibility of Cloud Print --as an AC1900 router it's pretty marginal.

I did find a network adapter to solve your issue though: the Lantronix xPrintServer - Cloud Print Edition. You simply plug your printer in via USB (assuming it's compatible), then plug the adapter into *any* router via standard RJ45 ethernet, and walla, you've got the printer Cloud Print enabled without an endpoint PC/Mac. :) Runs about $140 at various online places.

At $140, though, you may just be better off buying a new printer that *is* cloud print enabled -- not sure how much you like your current printer, or the price you paid for it, though.

Having the adapter in place will free you to pick any router, and if it's 2.4Ghz range you're looking for, SNB lists the Netgear R7000 as the best currently on the market. Make sure you update to the latest factory firmware before configuring.

Good luck!

Thank you, i know google cloud print is based on google login and combined with chrome it can support a classic printer when a job is added chrome prints the job no matter from where i sent it, but the issue is i had to keep my pc online always but the router is always in "on" 24x7 , so if any third party firmware can support like tomato usb or ddwrt the router must be also compatible right thats why i asked for it..

IMO, rather trying to depend on USB connected printer of any, buy a newer WiFi printer with all features like Google cloud printing, Airprint, NFC, etc. I only use a router as a router. I have two such WiFi printers(one is Brother color laser 4 in 1, one is Canon photo inkjet) on my Linksys EA8500. No problem what so ever using either printer being used by whole family.

My experience at buying expensive one trick USB or other adaptors is that they are a waste of money in the end. Any future product is not guaranteed to work with it properly either.

A new printer capable of doing what you need is a better consideration instead.

Buy a printer with an Ethernet port and just connect it to your LAN.

Most printers that offer WiFi also have an Ethernet port also. Using an Ethernet connection is the simplest and most reliable connection.

My printer works fine both Google print and Epson print.

Gotcha, I see now. I couldn't come up with any routers besides perhaps Google's newly-released OnHub router, but quite honestly I wouldn't buy OnHub just for the possibility of Cloud Print --as an AC1900 router it's pretty marginal.

I did find a network adapter to solve your issue though: the Lantronix xPrintServer - Cloud Print Edition. You simply plug your printer in via USB (assuming it's compatible), then plug the adapter into *any* router via standard RJ45 ethernet, and walla, you've got the printer Cloud Print enabled without an endpoint PC/Mac. :) Runs about $140 at various online places.

At $140, though, you may just be better off buying a new printer that *is* cloud print enabled -- not sure how much you like your current printer, or the price you paid for it, though.

Having the adapter in place will free you to pick any router, and if it's 2.4Ghz range you're looking for, SNB lists the Netgear R7000 as the best currently on the market. Make sure you update to the latest factory firmware before configuring.

Good luck!
Thank you friend... 140$ lol that is whopping costly for a supportive device, i dnt understand why firmwares makers dnt come up with idea of integrating into their firmwares like merlin-firmware which i think the best there is for Asus routers.. Due to google copy right violation or something or some kind of technical challenge to overcome, i know it's easily said than done for people like me,but in reality only those genius guys must know how tuff it can be.. [emoji14] and regarding 2.4ghz band i cant get netgear r7000 its currently unavailable here ive gone thru all the online sellers, and can you help me understand what these so called router speeds mean, to be honest i had this rtn66u which is 900mbps i guess, but i never experienced such a speed increase on my 2.4ghz adapter which supports 802.11n of 300mps i guess which is like 20-30ft away and two 2-3 inch concrete wall with windows open but the wireless speed never crossed 270mbps and what is the point in buying these high speed routers? And i never use 5 ghz I apparently use it on my iphone but i dnt mind it much so i obviously turned 5ghz off cause of the heat the router was experiencing
. And i also wanted a good 300mbps router for my home use and i really got headache last night searching for one,very confused what to look for? Range or the speeds or the features ?? So i quit and slept off...

Buy a printer with an Ethernet port and just connect it to your LAN.

Most printers that offer WiFi also have an Ethernet port also. Using an Ethernet connection is the simplest and most reliable connection.

My printer works fine both Google print and Epson print.
You mean any printer that has ethernet port has those google cloud or any cloud printing support? Damn I should have know this,just recently i bought this hp laserjet mfp something it has scanning on top and printing on bottom no ethernet cable just usb [emoji46], I actually saw one on the shop and asked the shopkeeper why is there a rj45 jack on that printer that stupid said if usb doesn't work on pc you can connect rj45 and am so idiot to believe what he said coz am kinda new to these computer crap i dint know...[emoji21][emoji21] maybe i should have bought that...[emoji29]