What's new

Router that has many options for "family rules"

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lazzerman

New Around Here
Hi All,

Today I have the ASUS N66u Router - works fine, but we're thinking about setting some hard rules for the kids :)

What I would like to do is to create sets of rules depending on mac adresses.

Son-Rules:
Mac1(Iphone)
Mac2(ipad)
Mac3(computer)

Most important rule: only allow Active use of internet for XX hours(say 3 hours a day) combined of all devices.

Daughter-Rules:
Mac1(Iphone)
Mac2(ipad)
Mac3(computer)

More or less the same, but she's older so maybe she will get more Active time.

What I'm looking for, is a router that lets me combine several MAC adresses/devices into one group, and then apply rules on the group. Is that possible?

Best regards,

Lazze

Sweden

consider RMerlin firmware as it has a configurable firewall and a few other features. Even the newest ASUS firmware has a scheduler and parental controls but RMerlin firmware offers stock features and more. Install RMerlin firmware on your asus N66u you and it will be able to do what you want but you wont be able to group it. Consumer routers arent that configurable. In a mikrotik router i could just make an address list or bind mac to IP and use lists but im not sure if this is possible in RMerlin firmware. The added iptables and configurable firewall in RMerlin firmware is a nice touch to what mikrotik has so it is worth considering and trying. You also can get a lot of support on SNB for it if you post in the ASUS section.

What I'm looking for, is a router that lets me combine several MAC adresses/devices into one group, and then apply rules on the group. Is that possible?

Less likely to find in residential grade routers, but it's more common in business grade firewalls. What you're looking to do, I frequently do for my business clients where I have an Untangle firewall protecting their network. Using "Policy Manager"...I can create several "virtual racks"...and apply each rack to a group of computers based on several things. I typically use IP address ranges...which of course you can control via DHCP reservations since that is done based on MAC address.

Virtual Racks...Untangle starts with the default virtual rack. It's the primary screen..where you setup the firewall rules, web filter, etc etc. This applies to everyone, by default. BUT...you can create a second virtual rack...say we name it "Kids". Now you use Policy Manager to apply that second virtual rack to the IP address range for example...of the kids devices. Third virtual rack..so on and so forth.

Hi All,

Today I have the ASUS N66u Router - works fine, but we're thinking about setting some hard rules for the kids :)

Most important rule: only allow Active use of internet for XX hours(say 3 hours a day) combined of all devices.
Is that possible?

Best regards,

Lazze

Sweden

If by "Active use" you mean a limit on total time used over the current day. Then no I have not found anything like that.
The parental controls limit time of day a given machine can access the Internet, but no difference if they use it or not.