What's new

Router to replace ancient RT-AC56U (large home)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have some doubts my AX86U is a dud because I don't see its "greatness". I got it the day 386_49447 firmware was released and it was really bad.

Last edited:
I have some doubts my AX86U is a dud because I don't see its "greatness". I got it the day 386_49447 firmware was released I it was really bad.
giphy.gif

The home router experience... pick your poison. :)

I have to side with @Tech9

The AX86U seems to be more sensitive in my environment, though my AX86S antennas (set or individual stems) are also "superior" out of the box, even improves range on my older GT-AC2900 which has the same general design. It's quite odd.

GT-AX6000 doesn't work well for me in the same regard, but I can't exactly swap antennas to that model..

At this point, it likely has to do with local EMI and power/grounding influencing products in my home. I don't really don't see any other logical explanation.

In regards to alt models like AX68U, I'm concerned about the radio design and how it functions with the main CPU.. Seems to be weaker or stress main CPU use (to a higher degree) versus last gen 3x3 ACW2 BCM4365E (which has a confirmed internal 800mhz A7 core) on my GT-AC2900.

At least this happens with the 6710 radio on both AX86U/S. I wonder if the core is weaker or removed and loaded off main CPU. Could make an argument for SoC variants being superior since the Tri/quad A7 SoC @ 1.5ghz (1.7ghz for newer gen 2 products) look to be pooled (Radio+CPU).

Maybe I'm wrong and the 6710 has its own internal high clocked A7 like BCM43684 and 675X SoCs. I really wish there were public datasheets.

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE ON Archer AX73 replacement (so far, so good)

The setup on the replacement TP-LINK Archer AX73 / AX5400 went much smoother this time. Even though I had temporarily gone back to my old ASUS router, I didn't have to reset any of the IoT things when I setup the new TPL. All my cams, doorbell and irrigation controller found the TPL 2.4 network via the same SSID & password. That's unlike the first time when I had to reset all my IOT devices to "see" the 2.4 network and connect successfully. A network consultant who checked my system out (for a wiring bid) said the fact that all the 2.4 devices would go offline sounded to him like a hardware problem.

So far the system has made it through one full day of operation without losing any of the IoT gizmos. Signal strength at the farthest location for devices from the router is between -40dBm & -48dBm (about 40' and downstairs into the garage). Hopefully this keeps going. :)

Hello. I have had this router for about 2 years with no trouble. Just lately it’s been dropping the 2,4 signal while the 5 g signal still going. Naturally after a reset it comes back on. But in a matter of time it will drop. I’ve been sending See you soon reports to Asus and they can’t figure it out. Asus said they’re sorry but the warranty has gone off of it. That’s it. I purchased a new router, the same make and model. I’m going to put the backup file in the new router and see if it goes. I’m thinking of being a hardware issue.
Do you think it will correct the issue?