What's new

Router with Guest Access

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jogl

Occasional Visitor
I am getting a little nervous about allowing friends, etc., to access the internet via my LAN.

What routers would allow me to set up a guest network that allows no access to any devices on my lan? I don't want anybody to be able to find IP adresses (I'm using 192.168.1.* subnet) or MAC addresses. A different subnet would be the easiest thing, I think. Is that how it is done?

Also, please do not suggest a 68U, I had a nightmare trying to get one of those to work last winter, and ended up taking it back and continuing to use my old Linksys E4200. The 2.4G would not work right.

My LAN consists of a DSL connection, the E4200, 3 AP's, and 20 or so computers, RPi's, and Arduinos.

Thanks.

Most stock firmware I came across supports Guest networks but on the same subnet only

I have personally a Guest network on Tomato Shibby running on the R7000 which is on its own VLAN and different subnet (192.168.2.* while my LAN is 192.168.1.*) so this network is isolated and has no access to my LAN

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!