What's new

Routers with built-in VPN client support

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Abadguy87

New Around Here
Hello, I'm thinking of buying a new router (Netgear preferably) and since I use a third party vpn (PrivateInternetAccess) I'm looking for a router that natively supports vpn client setup without having to flash the firmware with dd-wrt. Can you suggest any high-end models? (I know for sure that the R7000 doesn't have this function)

Hello, I'm thinking of buying a new router (Netgear preferably) and since I use a third party vpn (PrivateInternetAccess) I'm looking for a router that natively supports vpn client setup without having to flash the firmware with dd-wrt. Can you suggest any high-end models? (I know for sure that the R7000 doesn't have this function)
Hi, I would suggest ASUS router 68U or better.
They have dual core cpu and have tons of great features. By using Merlin Firmware you don't loose the features from ASUS you just get more enhancements and better performance. DD-wrt is old news and they don't support to many new routers.
here is a guide on how to setup VPN with ASUS routers
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/ho...ia-and-other-vpn-providers-10-15-fixed.30851/
if you have any problems leave a comment :)

Hi, I would suggest ASUS router 68U or better.
They have dual core cpu and have tons of great features. By using Merlin Firmware you don't loose the features from ASUS you just get more enhancements and better performance. DD-wrt is old news and they don't support to many new routers.
here is a guide on how to setup VPN with ASUS routers
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/ho...ia-and-other-vpn-providers-10-15-fixed.30851/
if you have any problems leave a comment :)

Hi yorgi thank you for answering so quickly, as far as I see the Asus RT-AC68U seems like an impressive router and is in the price range I was thinking of.

1)Would you suggest this over the equivalent netgear router? (not only for vpn purposes, I mean in general)
2) if I understand correctly I'd still have to flash it with this merlin firmware? I usually prefer using the producer's firmwares only and that procedure to setup PIA at router level looks awfully long (thx for linking it btw).

I was hoping to find something easier to setup like putting user/pw and connecting :D is it because of PIA or any third party VPN is this complicated to setup at router level?

Thank you again.

Hi yorgi thank you for answering so quickly, as far as I see the Asus RT-AC68U seems like an impressive router and is in the price range I was thinking of.

1)Would you suggest this over the equivalent netgear router? (not only for vpn purposes, I mean in general)
2) if I understand correctly I'd still have to flash it with this merlin firmware? I usually prefer using the producer's firmwares only and that procedure to setup PIA at router level looks awfully long (thx for linking it btw).

I was hoping to find something easier to setup like putting user/pw and connecting :D is it because of PIA or any third party VPN is this complicated to setup at router level?

Thank you again.
The article is long but its super easy to understand and there are many examples.
I understand the concern for 3rtd party firmwares but this is not the same. Merlin works in conjunction with ASUS to bring these updates.
They are the same as ASUS with better features and performance.
I would not buy a netgear router that is my opinion.
As far as a quick and easy way to do with PIA well just install their app on your PC and you are ready to go :)
if you want to go the router way, well then you will have to do some reading and that guide has helped thousands of people connect to PIA
why not one of them being you :)
Good luck with your router venture.
if you need help someone will be happy to assist :)

Yes for sure. You need to check which are the best VPN routers for that. Netgear top models are also included here. Compare and evaluate it which suits your need.

Yes for sure. You need to check which are the best VPN routers for that. Netgear top models are also included here. Compare and evaluate it which suits your need.
That's old stuff m8 :)
n66u is old and there are way better newer asus routers that can do VPN like the 88u etc
in this forum the 87U is almost taboo lol

PCs and mikrotik CCRs make good vpn routers due to their hardware encryption and really good IPCs. They beat consumer routers in the price/performance for vpn.

Look at the VPN specific offerings from Sabai Technology.

My recommendation is the AC88U using Merlin Build 380.62. I have experience setting up VPN clients on dd-wrt, pfSense and ASUS Merlin. The later being the the most user friendly in my opinion combined with Yorgi's awesome set-up guide and helpful forum support!!!