What's new

Routing LAN to WAN port split by VLAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

danjackson

New Around Here
Hi all,

So I'm just wondering whether is possible to do the following on my AC88U:

• Route PPPoE traffic out of WAN port using a tagged VLAN (for arguments sake lets use 100) whilst also routing LAN traffic out of the same WAN port using a different VLAN (lets use 101).

Whilst I'm pretty sure I can use a both a WAN & LAN port and connect it to a separate L2 switch near the modem, this would require me running 2 cables and using up 2 ports on my switch and on the router. In order to only use a single port on the switch and the router along with a single cable, I'm just wondering if its possible to route the internal LAN connection to the WAN port though remaining separate from the PPPoE traffic which is on the same WAN port though separated by VLAN tagging.

Basically I have the modem in another room, I want to run a single copper connect from my office where the router is to the living room where the modem is located. The L2 switch near the modem will forward VLAN 100 to the modem exclusively whilst forwarding VLAN 101 traffic to the other ports on the switch thereby allowing me to connect living room devices (like a SmartTV or other devices) to the LAN (behind the NAT firewall) but still allowing the router to connect to the modem.

Can anyone tell me if the AC88U ethernet drivers even support using the WAN port this way? If so how can I use robocfg or similar etc to achieve this?

Thanks in advance :)