What's new

Routing LAN traffic based on device 'hostname' or MAC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jamesroodney

New Around Here
I have a TCP Lighting gateway that I've incorporated into the home automation project I'm doing, the 'Connected By TCP' gateway/software isn't that easy to work with. When the gateway loses power, it automatically requests a dynamically assigned IP despite have given it a static on the router... I am unable to assign a static IP within the gateway itself so the router always gives it a new IP. I have a Trendnet TEW 652BRP, it's old but I've kept it as the backbone of my network because of all the static ip's on it plus it's never really given me issues (although I do have several DD-WRT/OpenWRT routers at my disposal if you have any specific suggestions). Anyways, the Gateway in question always comes up as 'lighting' plus there's the device MAC. Is there anyway that the router can filter through the dynamically assigned IP's based on MAC or hostname and then forward to the static IP that I already set? Note that the router already has a static IP that I registered to the device MAC originally, but whenever the gateway reboots it requests and is given an additional dynamic IP to the same MAC.

I think I'm getting this right--your dhcp server is giving it another IP address other than your static when the device loses power and reconnects, correct?

If so, you may have to change the dhcp server as it really shouldn't be doing that.

Hi thanks for your reply! Yes the DHCP server assigned the Hub a new IP even though the mac had a static IP already... It happened after a power disconnect of the hub. So if the DHCP server isn't supposed to assign a new IP (to this device), how would I change the DHCP server? Is that something in the Trendnet router firmware that's allowing it? So best bet would be to try a different router and it's DHCP server?

There's 2 ways to change the DHCP server. One is to get another router and hope its dhcp server doesn't do the same thing. Two is to just disable the dhcp server on the trendnet and try a software one running on a pc.

Another thing you could try is upgrading/downgrading the firmware on the trendnet and see if a different firmware version fixes the issue.

Well, checked the firmware (it's the newest version). I will check into your recommendation, thank you. I have a handful of other routers that I might be able to swap out instead that are all running dd-wrt so I might try that first.

Sometimes downgrading the firmware fixes issues like this that were broken by other fixes. The factory shipped firmware is usually the most stable in my experience (no matter what version it is).