What's new

RT-AC1900P reboots when accessing any QOS settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ian Strait

Occasional Visitor
OK.

Not only is this a first post, but it is post by a person that is massively frustrated, so I hope you guys can help me.

About 99% of the time, when I log into the GUI of the router (using https) and go to the adaptive QOS page to even look at it, the router reboots. Does not seem to matter which web browser or computer I am using. Even opening the android app (speed is on first page) causes the router to reboot.

This even happens when the internet is unplugged and it is just the network.

I have factory reset and flashed multiple versions of the asus firmware and have moved to asuswrt-merlin (RT-AC68U 382.2 beta3 and RT-AC68U 380.69) and the problem persists.

Could this be an issue with a device on my network? Or a bad firmware flash? or do I just have a bad router? (it is a RT-AC1900P version 2)

I am almost at my wits end dealing with this problem (have spent 4 hours today flashing stuff, rebooting, resetting using the reset button on the back and from inside the GUI.)

Does anyone have any suggestions for troubleshooting this issue.

EDIT: It goes into a reboot loop if I enable the traffic analyzer statistic with the internet plugged in.

Seems like anytime I am trying to see what traffic is doing, it reboots.

Last edited:
OK. Little more information. I have discovered that the issues (of course) only happen when my DSL is plugged in.

I am in a rural area with a 1.5 mbs DSL from Centurytel (and this is why QoS in important to me.). I am running one of their ZyXEL PK5001Z routers running in bridge mode with the Asus RT-AC1900P doing the PPoE Authentication.

I have played for a bit today. If I leave the connection from the DSL router into the WAN port plugged in, any click anywhere in the QoS section results in an instant reboot.

If I pull the ethernet cable from the WAN port, I can access the QoS section with no issues, change settings, save them, etc. After applying the settings, if I plug the cable back in, I go into almost an instant bootloop where I loose all access to the router and to my internet.

I know I have crappy internet, but was really hoping that I could get this all working right.

I also found that the asuswrt-merlin RT-AC68U 382.2 beta3 firmware is much more unstable (beta of course, but I had to try) then the stable version....

I can upload copies of the logs and/or my configuration if anyone thinks that would help with diagnosis.

Some of the last options I can think of for fixing this are setting up the DSL router in router mode, turning off the wireless and running the asus in DHCP wan mode or see if a different modem works. Thoughts on these?

Any help please? I am kinda desperate.

I'm sorry but I can't really think of a reason why you are experiencing problems. From what you have described your setup doesn't sound particularly unusual.

Given that your troubleshooting has revealed some issue with the WAN connection, perhaps it is some bug related to the PPPoE interface.

For testing purposes, I suggest that (as you were thinking) you put the ZyXEL back into router mode (with its wireless turned off) so that it can take care of the PPPoE connection to the internet. Then reconfigure the Asus' "WAN Connection Type" to be "Automatic IP". Or just do a factory reset on the Asus and let the setup wizard sort it out. You will have a "double NAT" situation but that shouldn't cause any problems. See if that fixes your issues.

Last edited:
Did you clone the MAC of your ZyXEL to the ASUS router? Some ISPs (especially with PPPoE) are picky about unknown equipment.

Did you clone the MAC of your ZyXEL to the ASUS router? Some ISPs (especially with PPPoE) are picky about unknown equipment.
I did not think I needed to as the XyXel is still the device closest to the internet... Does this make a difference?

I did not think I needed to as the XyXel is still the device closest to the internet... Does this make a difference?
I *think* that when the ZyXEL is in bridge mode, the ISP also sees the mac of the router since it's the one doing the negotiation. It's an easy thing to try to see if it helps.

Just wanted to follow up on this. Had a power issue this weekend and it went batty again. I rebooted it last night, and it went into a bootloop until I unplugged the wan cable.

As I was trying different methods of resetting it to get it back to work, I tried using the reset button on the back to do the factory reset (I had already used it to do a firmware recovery). I am still not sure how I got it to factory reset as there is conflicting information on how you do it. I held the reset button down for about 10 seconds while the unit was on.

Dang thing came back to life. All features in asuswrt-merlin firmware 380.69_2 are working. Even the QOS stuff works fine now with no reboots.

Question is what is the official procedure for doing a factory reset using the button on the back of the rt-ac1900p?

Spoke too soon.

Rebooted and was back to where I started.

I have no idea why it would work fine for one session then go nuts.

reset it again using the switch and it works fine with no issues.

Why does resetting it using the buttons ensure a cleaner reset then the reset in the admin GUI?

Also, I think I would like to see if there would be a log entry for the issue. What setting would I use to see if I could grab that? Is there a way of sshing into the unit just to watch the log?

So...

Resetting the ZyXEL to factory, setting it up as the main router and turning off the wireless, and setting up the asus to go through it, I still have the reboots when I do anything with the QoS setting again. Thought it may help but nope.

I also made the mistake of trying the beta firmware of asuswrt-merlin. (RT-AC68U_384.3_beta3) it was a disaster. Functions not working, and constant reboots. Beta, so no gripes from me about that, but after reflashing RT-AC68U 380.69 2, it is now back to the reboots whenever I even look sideways at the QoS pages. Even after multiple reboots with both physical reset button when on and wps when off.

Do I have a bad router (hardware)?

I know I am bringing up an old thread, but every once in a while I look at the router and try something different.

Finally ran the log command. I get this error when I visit the adaptive QoS page.

Any thoughts?

May 10 23:38:30 kernel: Init chrdev /dev/detector with major 190
May 10 23:38:30 kernel: tdts: tcp_conn_max = 8000
May 10 23:38:30 kernel: tdts: tcp_conn_timeout = 300 sec
May 10 23:38:31 kernel: *** ERROR: [tdts_shell_ioctl_sig_op_load:95] tdts_core_rule_parsing_trf_load() fail!
May 10 23:38:31 kernel: SHN Release Version: 2.0.1 3529123_patch
May 10 23:38:31 kernel: UDB Core Version: 0.2.14 r3529123
May 10 23:38:31 kernel: Init chrdev /dev/idpfw with major 191
May 10 23:38:31 kernel: Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 803e6024

About 3 seconds after I visit the page, the router resets.

Updated to latest version Asus wrt (RT-AC68U_384.5_0)

Same issue. It seems like anytime the router does anything with analyzing traffic, it crashes.

I did figure out that the error above has to do with trend micro files....

I take every device off of the network except for one and it still does it... If I change a setting in the QoS area or Ai Protection, it will go into a loop as long as the internet is connected.

It seems like this is somehow connected to the ZyXEL PK5001Z modem maybe? I think I may have an old Adsl modem (no routing or anything) floating around that I may try.

Does anyone have any other thoughts? I really would welcome more ideas....

I just got done putting an old Westel 6100 in place of the Zytel and confirmed that I had internet. I plugged it into the RT-AC1900p and had the same issues.

I hope that I am showing people that I am trying things so you are not all doing the thinking.

I think it is either the router (and QoS) is having a heart attack because my internet is so bad or I have a bad router.

Any other thoughts?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!