What's new

RT-AC3100 dropping 2.4g clients

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Flying_Hellfish

New Around Here
I bought an AC3100 a few days ago to replace a fried AC66U. Everything is solid so far except the 2.4Ghz band which drops all clients after about 7-8 hours of uptime. If I reboot the router they all reconnect automatically and all is well again temporarily.

I'm making a short list of things to do tonight to try and resolve this before I dig into more troubleshooting or trying to RMA. Is there something I should add to the list below as far as the basics?

Reset to Factory > Flash stable Merlin Firmware > Wait 7-8 hrs to see if clients drop

If they drop after that time period again the other things for testing I need to try are disabling 5Ghz possibly (can't disable 2.4 because I have some older clients that require it) go back to older firmware (stock or Merlin) or go to the beta firmware of either. It is tough to test because of the time period it takes to present itself so I'd like to get this started tonight as soon as I get home.

Reset to Factory > Flash stable Merlin Firmware > Wait 7-8 hrs to see if clients drop

at this stage i would just run the latest stable asus factory firmware to negate any other factor being a cause and see if the issue occurs if it does it may be a hardware issue , if it doesnt try merlins fw and see if things change , its a process of elimination

at this stage i would just run the latest stable asus factory firmware to negate any other factor being a cause and see if the issue occurs if it does it may be a hardware issue , if it doesnt try merlins fw and see if things change , its a process of elimination

Good point, I'm running factory now that's why I thought I would kill 2 birds with 1 stone. I just wish the issue presented itself more quickly, that makes it much more frustrating

Reset your client profiles first - seriously...

do that... and see if the problem continues...

Reset your client profiles first - seriously...

do that... and see if the problem continues...

I've done that on my 2 most important clients after a reflash of latest stable stock firmware and a factory reset and they disconnected in about 2 hours. I flashed the latest stable merlin and none of them could see the wifi. I did another factory reset and I'm reconnecting devices now to see if anything changes overnight.

EDIT: I changed the SSID to something completely different. 5G is sketchy right now and I can't even see the 2.4Ghz on any device
EDIT2: Flashed beta stock firmware and doing a factory reset now then going to reconnect clients. If it goes down again I'm calling ASUS tomorrow after work.

Final EDIT for tonight: After several reboots the 2.4Ghz band doesn't even show up when scanning for APs from my phone sitting right next to the router. Sadly this sounds like an RMA situation. I'm going to call ASUS tomorrow anyway.

Last edited:
Final EDIT for tonight: After several reboots the 2.4Ghz band doesn't even show up when scanning for APs from my phone sitting right next to the router. Sadly this sounds like an RMA situation. I'm going to call ASUS tomorrow anyway.

Might be - wouldn't hurt to catch some rest and see what support can do...

Just to check, are you flashing the new firmware and then doing a reset to factory defaults followed by a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP (in that order)?

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

Day 1 I disabled almost everything but since then I have done the most basic of basic. Flashed firmware > Factory reset via GUI > configured SSIDs/PSKs and admin PW > hard reboot > reconfigure clients to match new SSID. 90% of the times (8 or more last night) that I tried this by the time the router booted back up and I walked downstairs to reconfigure the clients (one being a NEST) they couldn't see the SSID. Checking from my phone shows the 5Ghz SSID but not the 2.4. I can run wifi analyzer on my phone tonight and see if I can manually set the channel and if it stays up as well.

I have no problem giving this all one more shot when I get home prior to calling but this is really starting to stink like a hardware problem to me especially since it has presented like this out of the box since Monday. I have tried stock firmware (current, one rev back, and beta) as well as merlin (latest 2 stable and beta) and it is the same result every time.

it sure does sound like a HW issue - either return it to the store, or take a chance with an RMA on warranty service..

Day 1 I disabled almost everything but since then I have done the most basic of basic. Flashed firmware > Factory reset via GUI > configured SSIDs/PSKs and admin PW > hard reboot > reconfigure clients to match new SSID. 90% of the times (8 or more last night) that I tried this by the time the router booted back up and I walked downstairs to reconfigure the clients (one being a NEST) they couldn't see the SSID. Checking from my phone shows the 5Ghz SSID but not the 2.4. I can run wifi analyzer on my phone tonight and see if I can manually set the channel and if it stays up as well.

I have no problem giving this all one more shot when I get home prior to calling but this is really starting to stink like a hardware problem to me especially since it has presented like this out of the box since Monday. I have tried stock firmware (current, one rev back, and beta) as well as merlin (latest 2 stable and beta) and it is the same result every time.

Thank you for the details.

I have to concur that it seems like a hardware problem from here too.

it sure does sound like a HW issue - either return it to the store, or take a chance with an RMA on warranty service..

I'm really thinking about ordering one for next day delivery then returning this one to BB tonight. After I factory reset one more time. Then again, maybe they will exchange it for me.

Oh, and thank you for the replies. Hopefully this is just a bum unit and the next one will be rock solid.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear there - pls follow up with results post-swap of the device.

I will follow up post swap for sure. I'm really hoping it's one bad unit and not a full batch issue, but even if that is the case I can return on Saturday and go to microcenter and pick one up.

Exchange went smoothly, I'm back up and running for now and I'm going to monitor both bands for the next day or two before I make any determination

Going on 36 hours now without a single drop of the 2.4Ghz band. I think it was a single bad unit. Thanks again for the replies, it looks like I'm golden for now. :)
I must have the exact same issue as I did the same as you and my wifi just randomly drops. Looks like I am going to return the router to see if it's hardware. Ether net has no issues.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!