What's new

RT-AC3200 or X6-AC3200

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TaylorJ

New Around Here
As the title says. I currently own the R7000 since it first came out ever since then I been keeping my eye out on the market for new wireless routers etc. Did lots of research, googling, reviews etc on those two routers. This site from the reviews seem to favor the x6 over the RT while I'm favoring the RT-AC3200 due to the features sets.

I'm in no rush but I am looking at getting 2 evently or just waiting 2015 out a tad bit longer see if anything pops ups.!

For anyone who owns either one of the devices list in thread title I would like some more feedback please.

I would suggest waiting it out...

Currently in the market - there are two approaches - 2 3Stream Radios - e.g. Broadcom's proprietary X-Stream protocols vs. some nascent 4-stream solutions...

Later this year, things will sort out - and proto-Wave2 solutions will be replaced by more robust implementations.

Where you're at for the moment, the R7000 is stable and mature... if you've been with the R7000 since launch, you're likely aware of the pain points of being on the leading edge... Hat's off to the team at Netgear for finally getting that device sorted...

I would suggest waiting it out...

Currently in the market - there are two approaches - 2 3Stream Radios - e.g. Broadcom's proprietary X-Stream protocols vs. some nascent 4-stream solutions...

Later this year, things will sort out - and proto-Wave2 solutions will be replaced by more robust implementations.

Where you're at for the moment, the R7000 is stable and mature... if you've been with the R7000 since launch, you're likely aware of the pain points of being on the leading edge... Hat's off to the team at Netgear for finally getting that device sorted...

Thank you. Hopeful I don't have to wait much longer. I'm a techie but I also know how to waiting for things. Proper research is the key and of course let others be the guinea pigs lol. Right now I been slowly swapping out my tech toys and recently going to be doing a little bit of home rewiring, so I guess in the mean time the wait will continue.!

Don't be so quick to part with your money. Wi-Fi is going to continue to evolve at a rapid pace.

The next few months will see 2nd generation 4x4 MU-MIMO routers appear. But MU-MIMO clients will be scarce and be required to get benefit from MU-MIMO. Hell, manufacturers are having to ship MU-MIMO enabled laptops to reviewers along with the routers!

Broadcom's three-radio Xtreme architecture was a defensive move meant to buy them time to get their 4x4 solution out. Now that it is out, we'll see how much effort they continue to put behind it.

Most of the innovation going forward is going to be in the 5 GHz band, where coverage footprint is smaller. Eventually, people are going to realize--no matter what manufacturers promise--that one router isn't going to adequately cover anything larger than a small apartment. So look for more products like eero's mesh solution to appear.

The smart Wi-Fi buyer will skip the expensive single-box solutions and implement multi-AP networks using AC1200 or AC1900 products, using the newer AV2 MIMO powerline adapters to connect them when Ethernet isn't available. It's a much better way to spend $300 for better Wi-Fi.

Wasn't going to spend it for better wifi coverage my wifi coverage is fine. If I need more coverage my setup would be different esp if I had a bigger home !. Eventually I will be running cat 7 in the house each room will have their own outlets etc. What I have planned for this house is going to be epic.

I think my initial question was more of I kinda wanted a new toy to play with lol.

Don't be so quick to part with your money. Wi-Fi is going to continue to evolve at a rapid pace.

The next few months will see 2nd generation 4x4 MU-MIMO routers appear. But MU-MIMO clients will be scarce and be required to get benefit from MU-MIMO. Hell, manufacturers are having to ship MU-MIMO enabled laptops to reviewers along with the routers!

Broadcom's three-radio Xtreme architecture was a defensive move meant to buy them time to get their 4x4 solution out. Now that it is out, we'll see how much effort they continue to put behind it.

Most of the innovation going forward is going to be in the 5 GHz band, where coverage footprint is smaller. Eventually, people are going to realize--no matter what manufacturers promise--that one router isn't going to adequately cover anything larger than a small apartment. So look for more products like eero's mesh solution to appear.

The smart Wi-Fi buyer will skip the expensive single-box solutions and implement multi-AP networks using AC1200 or AC1900 products, using the newer AV2 MIMO powerline adapters to connect them when Ethernet isn't available. It's a much better way to spend $300 for better Wi-Fi.

Last edited:
Don't be so quick to part with your money. Wi-Fi is going to continue to evolve at a rapid pace......

Do you have a recommendation for an AV2 MIMO powerline adapter that plays nice with ASUS AC routers?

Didn't know that you had a ranker set up for powerline networking. Good to see, thanks!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!