What's new

RT-AC5300 client list not listing all devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

siafu

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I installed the latest version 384.14_2 in my new Asus RT-AC5300.

The device doest list all the connected clients under view list. Out of 30 maybe 8 or 10 are listed, and the list fluctuates, dropping some for some time then finding them again, I even entered them manually under DHCP Server under LAN section, but still will not list them.

I'm trying to upgrade from the RT-N66W that also runs the last Merlin firmware and on that device, everything is working fine.

Are there known issues with this firmware, is there an older firmware for the AC5300 that will fix these issues? The router is not usable in this state.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Some devices might drop because of their power saving settings or by their internal settings (e.g. iPhones, Nest Protect)
In every case: disable WMM APSD, disable MU Mimo

Reactions: ajh
Hello, thanks for the information, but why don't they drop when I have the other router connected, that router keeps all clients up. Most of my devices are cameras, so they are up all the time.

Where are the settings you mentioned to disable, WMM APSD, disable MU Mimo?

Hello, thanks for the information, but why don't they drop when I have the other router connected, that router keeps all clients up. Most of my devices are cameras, so they are up all the time.

Where are the settings you mentioned to disable, WMM APSD, disable MU Mimo?

You sure that other router is not just showing current leased IP's? Some do this will only show whats currently been connected. While the ASUS is Live

WMM APSD and MU MIMO are under Wireless Professional

You sure that other router is not just showing current leased IP's? Some do this will only show what's currently been connected. While the ASUS is Live
My other router ( RT-N66W is also an Asus), and it shows all clients on my network. I don't know if they are actually live, but just one or two drops off once in a while from the list of a total 26 clients, so I assume it's getting the list of what clients are live?

On my new router RT-AC5300 it shows only 5 clients, sometimes 8, sometimes 14 and so on, never seen 26 like on the other router, the list constantly changes how many clients are on the list. Is this normal? Why would one router show nearly all clients on the network, and the newer router only shows a few? Is this a bug in the new router firmware? They both run Merlin.

I made the changes recommended under the wireless professional section, but it didn't help,. But most of my clients are wired, not wireless, so not sure if this would have made a change to the wired clients?

I made the changes under the Wireless Professional section, but it didn't help, still only lists certain clients, but most of my clients are wired, not wireless.

Most of the clients connected to my network are connected via cable, and most are always on, except a few like TV, and other devices that are not always on.

My other router ( RT-N66W is also an Asus), and it shows all clients on my network. I don't know if they are actually live, but just one or two drops off once in a while from the list of a total 26 clients, so I assume it's getting the list of what clients are live?

On my new router RT-AC5300 it shows only 5 clients, sometimes 8, sometimes 14 and so on, never seen 26 like on the other router, the list constantly changes how many clients are on the list. Is this normal? Why would one router show nearly all clients on the network, and the newer router only shows a few? Is this a bug in the new router firmware? They both run Merlin.

I made the changes recommended under the wireless professional section, but it didn't help,. But most of my clients are wired, not wireless, so not sure if this would have made a change to the wired clients?

I made the changes under the Wireless Professional section, but it didn't help, still only lists certain clients, but most of my clients are wired, not wireless.

Most of the clients connected to my network are connected via cable, and most are always on, except a few like TV, and other devices that are not always on.
Try a true nuclear reset (M&M configuration). Just search in the forum and you will find all the steps on how to do this. (the multiple flash in the procedure is absolutely not overdone).

The NetworkMap is closed source and something that @RMerlin cannot change. You can try a stock firmware install and see the same behavior. You can use the Search function for "NetworkMap" and see similar information.

Try a true nuclear reset (M&M configuration). Just search in the forum and you will find all the steps on how to do this. (the multiple flash in the procedure is absolutely not overdone).

The link is in my signature. :)

2020-01-23_16-50-30.jpg
WMM APSD and MU MIMO are under Wireless Professional
The link is in my signature. :)
I followed the steps listed in the M&M Configuration, but still, the RT-AC5300 is not displaying all the clients, just like before, some are listed but most are not, and some come and go, regardless if I'm connected to those clients in real-time.

I now put the RT-AC5300 in AP mode and it shows all my clients. So the issue where it's not listing the clients only happens when the router is in Wireless Router Mode.

Could it be a bug in the latest firmware for the Asus RT-AC5300 model?

View attachment 21026

I followed the steps listed in the M&M Configuration, but still, the RT-AC5300 is not displaying all the clients, just like before, some are listed but most are not, and some come and go, regardless if I'm connected to those clients in real-time.

I now put the RT-AC5300 in AP mode and it shows all my clients. So the issue where it's not listing the clients only happens when the router is in Wireless Router Mode.

Could it be a bug in the latest firmware for the Asus RT-AC5300 model?
I do not think so. I have two AC5300's in router config and do not encounter your problems.
Under LAN - DHCP Server choose Enable Manual Assignment and give all your devices an IP - if you have not done so.

Before I switch to AP mode I did enter one of the clients manually. Initially, it did show up on the list after rebooting the router, but then after a while, it disappeared again.

On your routers did you have to manually enter every client or do they show up automatically?

Before I switch to AP mode I did enter one of the clients manually. Initially, it did show up on the list after rebooting the router, but then after a while, it disappeared again.

On your routers did you have to manually enter every client or do they show up automatically?
They show up automatically, I apply their ip address and then I save them and press apply so that they are stored.

Even if I add them manually to the HDCP list, they still don't stick permanently, they only appear on the list when I'm actually logged in (in this case to the web interface of the cameras) then they appear on the list, as soon as I disconnect from the camera interface (or any other client) they disappear from the client list. I even upgraded the la latest version the alphan1 that I've noticed in your signature that you are running one of your RT-AC5300 routers on, but still the same thing.

But this is strange because when in AP mode they all show up and they stay listed.

It’s a firmware issue and affects all of them. It’s happened on all my models from ASUS.

Especially if devices are connected to a different AP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, then at least it's a known issue, hope it will be fixed with future releases.

Yes, many of the clients are connected to other switches and AP's. The other AP's DHCP settings are off as I want to RT-AC5300 to issue IP's.

Post #8 listed this information. Known issue with ASUS and Merlin builds, it is closed-source and up to ASUS to fix it. I wouldn't hold your breath...

Post #8 listed this information. Known issue with ASUS and Merlin builds, it is closed-source and up to ASUS to fix it. I wouldn't hold your breath...
OK, so that I understand, this is a known issue on this model RT-AC5300 and maybe some other models, but not all, because I have the RT-N66W and it doesn't have this issue with the last Merlin firmware.

It is an issue on most newer routers from ASUS. The ones I have personally experienced the issue with are the following: RT-AC66U, RT-AC3200, RT-AC86U, RT-AX88U.

The NetworkMap is closed-source and provided as "object blobs". The source code is only available to ASUS and they haven't seen fit to fix this basic issue for quite some time. I don't concern myself with it, the routers work just fine.

An alternate location to view what is WiFi connected can be found under Advanced Settings->System Log->Wireless Log Tab.

Networkmap works generally quite reliably these days. Just make sure your subnet is not wider than a /24, as networkmap is hardcoded to only scan for a /24 (unless Asus changes this since then).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!