What's new

RT-AC5300 Firmware 3.0.0.4.380.3341 (5/26/2016)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GrinningShark

Regular Contributor
Found some new official firmware that was released today on the Asus site:
http://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AC5300/HelpDesk_Download/

Found it under MAC OS and a few other places (doesn't appear to be showing up under all OS selections yet).

ASUS RT-AC5300 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.3341
Release note:

ASUS has been dedicated to cooperate with third party developers to come up with more innovative features.
To comply with regulatory amendments, we have modified firmware verification rule to ensure better firmware quality.
This version is not compatible with all previously released ASUS firmware and uncertified third party firmware.

Security Fixed
- Fixed Samba Badlock CVE-2016-2110 (Man in the middle attacks possible with NTLMSSP)
- Fixed Samba Badlock CVE-2016-2111 (NETLOGON Spoofing Vulnerability)
- ASUS firmware did not enable Samba LDAP, and not affected by CVE-2016-2112 (LDAP client and server don't enforce integrity) issue.
- The Samba version in ASUS firmware was not affected by
CVE-2016-2118 (SAMR and LSA man in the middle attacks possible)
- The Samba version in ASUS firmware was not affected by
CVE-2015-5370 (Multiple errors in DCE-RPC code)
- Fixed command injection issue. Thanks for Chris' contribution.
- Fixed XSS issue. Thanks for Chris' contribution.

Bug Fixed
- Fixed Windows Radius server compatibility issues.
- Fixed 5G performance issue when using bandwidth monitor.
- Fixed bandwidth monitor incorrect number problem.
- Fixed setup wizard redirect issue when router automatically changed LAN IP in IP conflict case.
- Modified setup wizard process when router detected DHCP and PPPoE at the same time.
- Fixed bandwidth limiter bug when there are multiple clients in rule list.
- Fixed NTP automatically sync issue when router rebooted
- Fixed Safari slow response issue.
- Enhance AiCloud dynamic stream port mechanism (please also keep AiCloud app up to date)
- Fixed AiCloud share link related issues.

Hás anyone installed this firmware, probably after installing this firmware there is not possible to go back to merlin, just a thought.

I've installed, how would I know if I couldn't go back. Why is this suddenly being asked?

The latest firmware starting with 380.3264 won't allow you to flash anything other than Asus official (locked down) firmware via the gui (but reports are that version will let you 'downgrade' the firmware via rescue mode).

Try flashing the RMerlin build or any of the earlier (than 380.3264) builds and see if it lets you or not.

The latest firmware starting with 380.3264 won't allow you to flash anything other than Asus official (locked down) firmware via the gui (but reports are that version will let you 'downgrade' the firmware via rescue mode).

Try flashing the RMerlin build or any of the earlier (than 380.3264) builds and see if it lets you or not.
Firmware update unsuccessful.

What a bummer that I had to be the guinea pig. How do I go back?

Won't even let me enable recovery mode. What in the name are they thinking? Why would they cut off Merlin?

Last edited:
Hoping this is temporary and that asus is indeed working towards his firmware being compatible

Nothing temporary about it.

But RMerlin will have access to this locked firmware soon, along with his helpful tweaks. (Won't help if you wanted to use something before this version though).

Nothing temporary about it.

But RMerlin will have access to this locked firmware soon, along with his helpful tweaks. (Won't help if you wanted to use something before this version though).
That's fine, I'll just wait for that then no worries.

Hi guys, I've just received this router new (upgrading from a AC3200 w/Merlin because it didn't totally cover the furthest corner of my home). Any insight on whether Asus firmware (build 3341) or Merlin firmware (build 380.59) have better range right now? Trying to decide whether to chance updating to the Asus locked firmware.

(A few side notes -

I fell into the trap of thinking Linksys EA9500 + Linksys RE7000 combination would be ideal for my house, due to the implementation of 802.11r. In fact, the handoff takes way longer than the advertised 100ms and the firmware seems to have other bugs as well; have to restart the router somewhat frequently. Probably this is partially because the router is still on its 1st firmware iteration.

Also, on the AC3200, several of my devices started having connection-drop/forced reconnect problems on 380.59 despite many restarts, which was resolved by flashing 380.58 but at the price of giving up a little bit of range/throughput.)

Does this Firmware wass pulled out from all OS selections and even at Other section?

I already downloaded but i can`t see it anywhere anymore

Any insight on whether Asus firmware (build 3341) or Merlin firmware (build 380.59) have better range right now?

NO they all have the same output one is the same as the other. All Asus routers are locked to 80-100 mw output. This can no longer be changed or modified.

Does anyone know why this firmware was pulled? Is there a vulnerability or other risk associated with running it?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!