What's new

RT-AC5300 + PCE-AC88 Slow speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kruz

New Around Here
Hi all,

I recently had fiber installed to the house so i wanted to maximize my wireless speeds so i picked up ASUS RT-AC5300 and a PCE-AC88 for my desktop. Wired direct to the modem (modem+router combo from ISP) I get ~960 mbps down (via speedtest.net). Wired into the ASUS router im taking a speed hit and getting in the mid 700s which is kind of odd. Wireless I am getting around 300 to 350 30 feet away and through 1 wall. Taking a laptop and placing it right ontop of the router im still getting ~350. I talked to ASUS support and they offered to RMA but instead i swapped out both the router and the wireless adapter via vendor instead only to get the same speeds. I also tried to drop Merlins current firmware to see if that would help.

I optimized channels using inSSIDer and also tested each channel individually to land on the current channels that gave me the best speeds.

Currently i have merlin 380.61 on the router and the current firmware from ASUS's site for the wireless adapter.

I am using Win7 64 Ultimate with 16BG RAM, and an Intel i75820k @ 3.30 GHz and have a MacBook Pro mid 2014 im also using to test.

Anyone have any thoughts? I feel like im missing something but just cant put my finger on it and was hoping you all might have some thoughts.

Thanks!

You're not missing anything...

The numbers are about right actually... and pretty good I might add..

Thanks for the reply sfx2000.

With the 4x4 AC3100 speeds of the card advertised at up to 2100 Mbps on 5GHz and hearing of people pushing close to 1gig with similar setup its hard for me to think that 17% of potential speed is a good mark to hit? Hitting 350 with a regular card i can see but I expected a lot more for a 4x4 card with a 4x4 router. I didnt expect to get the advertised max speeds but figured if i could even creep close to the 1g mark it would be great.

This is the best I can get from my card (also RT-AC5300 + PCE-AC88; 1000Mbps broadband):
Screenshot (47).png

The card is fewer than 1m away with no obstacles from the router for testing.

Download speed is always 33~50% lower than upload speed. I don't think it is an acceptable speed for PCE-AC88. (All I want is >850Mbps ul/dl speed which is expected from a 4-antenna card.)
The dealer had confirmed the issue and arranged for a card replacement. But they don't have stock until September.

I have replaced both the card and router once now and still the same issue and ASUS support isnt much help. They wont even say what the expectations for the setup are. I see posts and reviews where people are getting the 800+ speeds and it doesnt seem like they are doing anything special but i cant seem to get it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!