What's new

RT-AC5300 Traffic Analyzer Bug?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rbdan

Occasional Visitor
Has anyone experienced any issues after turning on the "Traffic Analyzer - Statistic"?

It seems like a few days after I turn it on to have it start collecting statistical information, the router experiences issues.

What I mean by issues is, slow internet access. After a few days I will notice that most websites are very slow and streaming isn't working properly. I then do a speedtest multiple times and the speed is very poor. I usually get 59-62 Mbps and when an issue is occurring it is .6, 1.5, 3, or 6 and upload goes from 6 down to .7 ish. A reboot clears the issue.

I have run the router with this feature off and I have never experienced this issue.

Anyone else experience this particular issue?

Firmware version: 3.0.0.4.380_1355

I'm not seeing that specific bug. But I see some other bugs, of which I'll list below.

-Smart Connect band steering assigns clients to wrong bands
-Renaming clients within the new popup client list doesn't stick
-Entire GUI crashes when intensely used (reboot required to fix)

Has anyone experienced any issues after turning on the "Traffic Analyzer - Statistic"?

It seems like a few days after I turn it on to have it start collecting statistical information, the router experiences issues.

What I mean by issues is, slow internet access. After a few days I will notice that most websites are very slow and streaming isn't working properly. I then do a speedtest multiple times and the speed is very poor. I usually get 59-62 Mbps and when an issue is occurring it is .6, 1.5, 3, or 6 and upload goes from 6 down to .7 ish. A reboot clears the issue.

I have run the router with this feature off and I have never experienced this issue.

I have a similar router, the RT-AC3100 running Merlin 380.57 and just today I noticed the same exact issue you are reporting. I had Traffic Analyzer turned on for a few days and today there was a very noticeable decrease in speed. I'm on a gigabit internet connection and was only getting 80 - 100 Mbit/sec rates when I should be getting closer to 940 both up and downstream. I turned off the Traffic Analyzer and immediately my speeds increased back up to where they were. There is obviously a bug somewhere.

Reactions: cvv
I have a similar router, the RT-AC3100 running Merlin 380.57 and just today I noticed the same exact issue you are reporting. I had Traffic Analyzer turned on for a few days and today there was a very noticeable decrease in speed. I'm on a gigabit internet connection and was only getting 80 - 100 Mbit/sec rates when I should be getting closer to 940 both up and downstream. I turned off the Traffic Analyzer and immediately my speeds increased back up to where they were. There is obviously a bug somewhere.

For that high of (symmetrical) up/down ISP speeds, turning certain features like TA will turn off hardware acceleration and that is why you speed plummets.

We'll need faster processors for our routers for all the features to work together and simultaneously.

So I'm not going crazy! :confused:

Thanks for the feedback.

I don't have an AC5300, but i'm experiencing the same issue w/my RT-AC3100, on official asus build 3.0.0.4.380_858. I ended up turning off traffic stats because of it. My WAN speed is about the same as yours, and exhibits similar speed issues after a couple days of uptime. With traffic stats off, I don't experience this particular issue.

I opened a ticket and ASUS support reminded me of why I usually avoid their products, haha.

Hey cvv,

Keep me in the loop if you hear anything back from them.

Thanks
Dan

I don't have an AC5300, but i'm experiencing the same issue w/my RT-AC3100, on official asus build 3.0.0.4.380_858. I ended up turning off traffic stats because of it. My WAN speed is about the same as yours, and exhibits similar speed issues after a couple days of uptime. With traffic stats off, I don't experience this particular issue.

I opened a ticket and ASUS support reminded me of why I usually avoid their products, haha.

Hey cvv,

Keep me in the loop if you hear anything back from them.

Thanks
Dan

Sure thing, but at this point, I'd be shocked if they replied back. I gave them two weeks, got three replies of exactly the same boilerplate message about factory resetting, etc. even after I replied indicating that I had already tried their suggestions. I had submitted another message and just never received another reply, and this was back in December. Their support is pretty bad.

Glad I found this thread. I think that's the cause of my issues too. AC-5300 running 380.57
Everything was running perfect and I set up the link aggregation on LAN 1&2 to my synology server. Enabled the traffic analyser to have a look what was happening.
Now, after about 2-3 days I notice a build up to a number of things:
1. Massive drop in network speed internal and Internet,
2. CPU core 1 builds up to a constant 100% (and 75 deg C)
3. Finally the router will just freeze and become inaccessible, although Internet will still be open

Unplug for 30 seconds and everything is fine again for another 2-3 days.

I'm going to turn off the analyser to see if this stops.

Haven't got anything external plugged into the routers USB so just normal network connections, mostly wired. Only main thing drawing traffic would be the synology on the linked 1&2 ports running Plex media server, mainly used internally on a number of smart TV's and Apple TV/media boxes (all wired)

As a side point, on the link, LAN2 light is constantly flashing but the analyzer never shows any readings

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!