What's new

RT-AC5300 vs GT-AC5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cvkef

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I was going to buy the RT-AC5300 but then I found out there is the ROG Rapture GT-AC5300.
Their main differences are:

RT-AC5300
  • 128MB Flash
  • 512MB RAM
  • VPN Client / Server
  • 1 x USB 3.0 + 1 x USB 2.0
  • 4 x LAN
GT-AC5300
  • 802.3ad link aggregation
  • VPN ???
  • 256MB Flash
  • 1GB RAM
  • 2 x USB 3.0
  • 8 x LAN
I'm considering the GT-AC5300 mostly for the double RAM and the 802.3ad support (future-proof, overkill).
BUT, I can see that while there is Asuswrt-Merlin support for RT-AC5300, there is no support for the GT-AC5300.

1. Will the firmware of RT-AC5300 may work for the GT-AC5300 too?
2. Are there any plans to bring support for this model too?

I don't care to lose either any of the gaming features nor the ugly UI / gaming lingo.

Thank you :)

Last edited:
The RT supports link aggregation too

No, Merlin will never support the GT, it’s too different (please see the hundreds of threads asking the same question).

Short answer, GT is not worth it. RT is plenty powerful enough and has the huge advantage of supporting Merlin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 86U is worth looking at as well.;)

If you are careful the Ac5300 is $240 at Newegg today.

The RT supports link aggregation too

No, Merlin will never support the GT, it’s too different (please see the hundreds of threads asking the same question).

Short answer, GT is not worth it. RT is plenty powerful enough and has the huge advantage of supporting Merlin

Yeap, the deal breaking feature for me is the Merlin support! I already have the DSL-AC68U and I hate it I can't try the Merlin firmware.
Thanks again and sorry for reposting! (no results in search though)

The GT actually has 1gb ram, not 512mb. Add the 64 bit 1.8ghz quadcore processor and it blows most routers out of the water for specs. However the stock fw appears to be buggy as hell. If vpn isn’t important go for a Linksys EA9500V2 which has the same hardware as the GT but without the bugs.

Last edited:
Yes it is. But I'm going for the tri-band. I know, a bit overkill :)

Not overkill! I have an 88U running Merlin (Wi-fi disabled) and a pair of RT-AC5300’s as AiMesh AP/Node. Makes for great Wi-fi all around the house and all 5Ghz coverage.
I might add a 68U in the conservatory as that’s the only spot with less signal due to technically being outside.
I have Powerline/Ethernet backbone connecting them all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well you may need to think twice on which router to go with if you plan on using a VPN. Speeds you get on an RT-AC5300 cannot be compared with those of GT based on my experience. GT is a lot faster for me than the RT version. Using the the 86U will also give you very good speeds as well (same as GT based on my experience) but you are limited to using only two bands. On the other hand, one of the major downsides of GT, as mentioned above, is lack of Merlin FW. There is a dedicated ROG GT-AC5300 owners thread in the forums that has plenty of information which will help you decide.

The GT actually has 1gb ram, not 512mb. Add the 64 bit 1.8ghz quadcore processor and it blows most routers out of the water for specs. However the stock fw appears to be buggy as hell. If vpn isn’t important go for a Linksys EA9500V2 which has the same hardware as the GT but without the bugs.

Ops! Wrong paste. Fixed.
And yes, I started considering that choice just for the specs. And I was hoping for an merlin release as the stock fw and UI are awful.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!