What's new

RT-AC5300 with larger antennas for better coverage

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Logi

Is it possible to replace the existing antennas of the RT-AC5300 with bigger ones with higher gain to increase the router coverage? Thanks

Without increasing the signal strength broadcasted by the client, there isn't much to be gained. I tried once before with my AC68U, and didn't see any useful increase in range.

Without increasing the signal strength broadcasted by the client, there isn't much to be gained. I tried once before with my AC68U, and didn't see any useful increase in range.

Also hi gain antenna is diretional vs. omni-directional due to radiation pattern change.

Thanks to the reciprocity principle, antenna gain affects reception equally to transmission.

The trade-off (see message 3) is directionality. Actually that can be a benefit--we don't need to waste signal (or accept interference from) above or below the networked clients, so horizontal directivity can be helpful.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!