What's new

RT-AC5300 with or without Merlin’s Fware on Centurylink 1 Gig fiber super slow.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheBoatswain

Occasional Visitor
Hello all,
I have the RT-AC5300 with Merlin’s Latest Firmware, now this is my Fouth Router as well. I started out with an RT-AC5300 with Merlin’s April 2016 my speeds were 940 down and 940-955 up my speeds started to drop and Centurylink said it was the Router and they put their router back on but their max speed 790 to 820 and WiFi was horrible so Asus told me the Router was bad so I took it back and tried two different Night hawks x4 and x10 I could not get them to connect to the PPPoE networks, bought a GT-AC5300 used it for quite a while fighting with Asus because my speeds were 980 up and down but started falling off here 3 months ago and I had 19 different trouble call ticket numbers but no fixes finally I actyget passed to the upper level they finally did a firmware update but it made things even worse so I took it back to Fry’s and got the Nighthawk XR700, very nice Router but Dumas Firmware isn’t open source and they could not get my speeds past 450 up and down. I retuned it got the RT-AC5300 again but I am stuck at 625 w QOS on 720 with QOS off down 931-1000 QOS on 950-1350 QOS off upload. I need some help please. I am using Cat 6 cable in my new house, I may have to re-wire it myself. It could be a setting in the Router but I am sure I have PPPoE setting correct and I have the vlan tagged because I do have internet. Oh the New QOS setings codel and f_codel have me a little confused. I am a gamer and the wife uses her desktop to surf the net only, we have to cel phones a smart tv, two WiFi printers and smart refrigerator connecting to the Router as well.
I hope this gives you enough info to help me out.
If you need my computer hardware ask and I will post it. Thank you.

So you have tried many routers and have the same issue .........

Sorry but I think you need to looking at what your router connects to . (Modem/ONT)

Last edited:
AndreiV,
CentryLink ran a test on the Line and found no issues, I was thinking the same thing. I will put in a trouble call to have them test it. It was replaced about a year ago.
Thanks and I will submit it tomorrow.

There is no need to use QoS with a gigabit connection for starters. Have you searched the forum for PPPoE? I seem to remember some PPPoE issues that were causing slow downs that may have been solved.

Merlin told me to go to the forums and I’ve been around a while and looking at the ONT was one of the first things I did but I never thought of shutting off QOS! Great idea, I wish I could also live without upnp as it has something to do with the slow down as well. I will search the forums for PPPoE issues and fixes as well.
Doczenith thanks for the help. I will get back with you as soon as I find what I am looking for as well I will run some speed test with QOS disables here in a bit.

Merlin told me to go to the forums and I’ve been around a while and looking at the ONT was one of the first things I did but I never thought of shutting off QOS! Great idea, I wish I could also live without upnp as it has something to do with the slow down as well. I will search the forums for PPPoE issues and fixes as well.
Doczenith thanks for the help. I will get back with you as soon as I find what I am looking for as well I will run some speed test with QOS disables here in a bit.

I hade alike problems.
I turn off Qos and disable IPTraffic. Hardware acceleration on . Went from 300 to 900-930 .

If you have a fat pipe of data unless your dozen plus at high usage (being generous, could take many more users than that given not all torring) you don’t need qos. It’s an extra step router has to ‘think’ about for all traffic. Best to only use QoS if see saturation on network in my opinion.

I disabled QOS brought me to 752 down and 920 up my ping is ugly it is 2.45 ms using the Speetest.net app. Now the IPTraffic setting are you talking about the IPTV where I select ISP profile with manual settings of 201 to tag WAN port?

Helio58,
By the way thank you as your in put has gotten me somewhere still looking for IPTransfer but as soon as I find it I will let you know. Hey is this on all Asus Routers?

Thank you so much for the information. I have QOS off and I am getting about 850 to 870 down and 940 to 1.2 up weird. But I guess I haven’t figured out the search engine or it is retarded because everything I try I get nothing back on IPTransfer or PPPoE fixes fiber ISP’s. Any ideas?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!