What's new

RT-AC56U media bridge problems

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jea101

Regular Contributor
I have two RT-AC56U units. Both are currently running 3.0.0.4.376_3602 (stock) firmware. Both have static private network (192.168) IPv4 addresses. I am trying to use a 5MHz bridge.

The AC56 bridge “parent” is in access point mode. The parent connects (through a gigabit switch) to an Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite LAN port. The ERlite connects to a cable modem.

The AC56 bridge “child” is in media bridge mode and connects a gigabit switch in my living room. The switch and bridge support

Two PCs running Windows 7 64bit
Three HDHR-3CC cable card tuners (3 boxes total of nine tuners)
Four HDHR-3US clear QAM tuners (4 boxes total of eight tuners)
Blue ray player
WDTV live media player
Audio Video receiver
Pogoplug V2 running Arch Linux

First problem – UPNP multicast message coming from the media bridge side do not reach PCs on the parent AP side. These message are used to communicate between the network tuners and Windows media center. The HDHomerun setup program tests these messages

Technical information about the test:
HDHomeRun Setup triggers the HDHomeRun to send a series of SSDP NOTIFY packets to the 239.255.255.250 multicast group.
These packets were not received by the PC running HDHomeRun Setup.

http://www.silicondust.com/support/hdhomerun/testfail/upnp_multicast_recv/

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=12422

The first post in the thread above indicates on AC66 you need to go to a hidden setting page and change IPTV settings to enable multicast but doesn’t explain what the settings need to be or how to get to the hidden page(s).

Second problem – The HDHR3-US clear QAM tuners fail to get an IPv4 address via DHCP when connected to the media center (child) end of the bridge.

If I replace the AC56 with a pair of Edimax BR-6675nD routers running a 5GHz wireless N bridge both problems go away. However, I bought the AC56 units to improve the bridge speed.

Third problem – If I swap the two units putting the AP in the living room and connecting the media bridge to the router the Widows 7 PCs in the living room loose IPv6 connectivity. The reason I want to swap them is that Asus disables the 2.4GHz radio in media bridge mode.

The only good thing is I bought the AC56 routers from Newegg on sale for $80 each.

If you created a static network then you would have to manually make IP addresses for each "node" connected; therefore, DHCP wouldn't be used...correct?

The HDHR network tuners don’t support static IP addresses. If they fail to get an IP address via DHCP they can’t be used.

I'm not sure if this is related to third problem. I have RT-AC56U using stock firmware updated to version 3.0.0.4.378_4585 and running in Media bridge mode (aka wifi-to-ethernet converter).

IPv6 connectivity is broken most of the time, as you can see in the attachment of ping6's at 600 seconds (10 minutes) intervals to my WAN router in (W)LAN. Log is more than 24 hours.

IPv4 works all the time with great speed. But this fw does not help to get reliable IPv6 connectivity as I was hoping.

Attachments

• ping6.txt
    8.6 KB · Views: 383

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!