What's new

RT-AC56U missing several options

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vkvance

Occasional Visitor
I have 2 routers at home main is RT-AC68U and the other in ap mode is RT-AC56U.
I just noticed that my AC68U has parental control, Traffic manager and Aicloud at the left panel, but my AC56U does not have these options. [updating to latest firmware does not help either]
Are the options for parental control option, Traffic manager and Aicloud missing due to being in ap-mode?

I compared to other RT-AC56U menu options i found in google image and they had these options.
Left side is mine and right side is screenshot from google image

Can anyone with the same model clarify?

Yes, being in AP mode disables a lot of features. But did you reset the RT-AC56U to factory defaults after you flashed the latest firmware on it?

And then manually and minimally configure the router to secure it and connect to your ISP (i.e. not using a backup config file)?

You can still surf directly to the missing pages, or directly manipulate known settings via nvram.

Yes, being in AP mode disables a lot of features. But did you reset the RT-AC56U to factory defaults after you flashed the latest firmware on it?

And then manually and minimally configure the router to secure it and connect to your ISP (i.e. not using a backup config file)?

Thanks for the info, I didn't reset to factory defaults after I flashed to the latest firmware. Is that needed? Its working fine though. If there is no need then I would not like to reset it.

You can still surf directly to the missing pages, or directly manipulate known settings via nvram.

I managed to access parental control by adding /ParentalControl.asp in the url address to my RT-AC56U ip but it doesn't work. It does not allow me to add clients

Thanks for the info, I didn't reset to factory defaults after I flashed to the latest firmware. Is that needed? Its working fine though. If there is no need then I would not like to reset it.

Resetting to factory defaults is normally needed to ensure the new options, features and security measures are implemented correctly and not being overwritten by old values from the previous version of the firmware.

But as this is an AP and not directly facing the internet (and, it is working for you), it is not strictly necessary. But if this were my router? I would reset it and configure it manually again.

Btw, there are many hidden pages you can access when in AP mode, but a lot of them depend on NAT, DHCP and / or the firewall running to be usable. That is why those pages are hidden when not in router mode.

Resetting to factory defaults is normally needed to ensure the new options, features and security measures are implemented correctly and not being overwritten by old values from the previous version of the firmware.

But as this is an AP and not directly facing the internet (and, it is working for you), it is not strictly necessary. But if this were my router? I would reset it and configure it manually again.

Btw, there are many hidden pages you can access when in AP mode, but a lot of them depend on NAT, DHCP and / or the firewall running to be usable. That is why those pages are hidden when not in router mode.

Oh I see, will reset it when I am free. Thanks for your advice.