What's new

RT-AC56U/R vs RT-AC68U/R question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jontalk

I've had my AC56R for a couple of years and other than one minor issue which was quickly repaired while under warranty, it's worked very well. Before purchasing it one of the more senior members here told me that the hardware of the 56 was identical to the AC68U/R with the exception of the antennas being internal rather than external. I don't have a ton of wireless devices and have noticed the AC1900P has been rated the #1 router here. So I'm curious if what I was told was correct and if not, what I would gain on the 5 gHz band if I moved to the AC68U/R router. Thanks

the ac56u is only 2 x 2 eg 2 antennas and 2 streams so the max wifi sync is on 867M on 5 gig and 300M on 2.4 gig

whereas the AC1900P/h is 3 x e3 and 3 antennas and 3 streams so the max sync is 1300M on 5 gig and 600M on 2.4 gig

the ac56u however has the same speed cpu and ram and flash size as the original rt-ac68u

what I would gain on the 5 gHz band if I moved to the AC68U/R router.

if you had 1300M 5 gig clients or 2.4 gig 600M clients they would have about 1/3 faster throughout

i would also assume you would notice better overall coverage with a router with external antennas

pete

Thanks Pete...that makes it much clearer though I'm unsure whether I have the 1300M clients on either band. After reading the review of the AC1900P it appears it's nearly identical to the 68U which are much more available on Ebay where I scored my 56R brand new. I'll set up a watch for a new 68U in the meantime. I appreciate your insights.

i might suggest you just a tech level and look for the rt-ac3100 instead , its much faster cpu wise and has better coverage plus future proofs yourself a bit as i dont think you would see much of a gain for the money you spend going from 56u to 68u

Thanks Pete...I've heard similar opinions about the two since they're nearly identical. Any idea why the 3100 isn't on the Hot list while the 1900P gets top award?

sfx2000... I believe I'll do as you suggest for now since I've read quite a few posts from people that own the AC3100 and the issues they're having. As the old saying goes, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it" Thanks much for all the advice

sfx2000... I believe I'll do as you suggest for now since I've read quite a few posts from people that own the AC3100 and the issues they're having. As the old saying goes, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it" Thanks much for all the advice

Oddly enough - the forum has a few posts lately about the WRT-54G series...

Vendors always want one to buy the latest/greatest stuff, but sometimes, that's just excess...

Always evaluate your needs (not wants) and decide from there.

Thanks again though I have no idea what the WRT-54G series is, ha ha. Regardless it seems best to just stick with what I have even if the range is limited.

WRT-54G is a legendary router made by Linksys, but its ancient.

1900P gets high marks because its a really good router. Asus took something that was already good and made it even better. Coupled with the excellent Asuswrt-Merlin firmware, just makes it godly in terms of stability and performance.

I came from the N66 myself, which is also a really good N router, and was amazed by the 1900P.

WRT-54G is a legendary router made by Linksys, but its ancient.

1900P gets high marks because its a really good router. Asus took something that was already good and made it even better. Coupled with the excellent Asuswrt-Merlin firmware, just makes it godly in terms of stability and performance.

I came from the N66 myself, which is also a really good N router, and was amazed by the 1900P.

Interesting...but from what others here say, the 1900P is nearly if not identical to the 68U which has the same hardware as my 56R but with 3 external antennas...Why do you say the 1900P is 'godly'?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!