What's new

RT-AC56U: Software bug with bridge mode?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dinos52

New Around Here
I am using the AC56U in bridge mode with a Fritz!Box 7490. The connection is on 5GHz (channel 40 fixed) with a connection rate of 866.5 Mbps which is very good (normally). The AC feeds 4 clients (TV, SAT, FireTV, PS4). All 4 devices run fantastic with that configuration (HD streaming, online games, up/downloads...) !

The only disadvantage is that the system fails after say 3..5 hours daily (yes, daily). Then, it is not possible to access neither the RT nor one of the 4 clients any more via WiFi until reset of the AC. I am using the firmware 378.52 from spring 2015 and fell back each new version (until latest!) because the problem occurred much more often (approx. 1/2..1h) so ALL newer versions were unusable for my application. This is true for Asus and Merlin versions so I guess that this is a problem of the original software. I think that the bridge mode is not in focus on the development and therefore will not be tested as appropriate. I have 2 suspicions:

1. It could have something to do with the system log file (syslog.log). I erase the file regular (via web client) and then can extend the normal run time for the AC. So my first question is how to disable the logging? I can access the AC via SSH.

2. My early observations say that the problem happens on 5GHz only. I am not sure and do not test it any more because I need the high connection speed.

Is there anybody who can confirm (and hopefully fix) this strange behaviour of the AC. In case of error, there is no abnormal indication of the blue LEDs. Fritz!Box reports still a connection via WLAN but no ping possible to the AC and it's clients. With the right combination the problem is 100% reproducible. Any help is appreciated!

I am using the AC56U in bridge mode with a Fritz!Box 7490. The connection is on 5GHz (channel 40 fixed) with a connection rate of 866.5 Mbps which is very good (normally). The AC feeds 4 clients (TV, SAT, FireTV, PS4). All 4 devices run fantastic with that configuration (HD streaming, online games, up/downloads...) !

The only disadvantage is that the system fails after say 3..5 hours daily (yes, daily). Then, it is not possible to access neither the RT nor one of the 4 clients any more via WiFi until reset of the AC. I am using the firmware 378.52 from spring 2015 and fell back each new version (until latest!) because the problem occurred much more often (approx. 1/2..1h) so ALL newer versions were unusable for my application. This is true for Asus and Merlin versions so I guess that this is a problem of the original software. I think that the bridge mode is not in focus on the development and therefore will not be tested as appropriate. I have 2 suspicions:

1. It could have something to do with the system log file (syslog.log). I erase the file regular (via web client) and then can extend the normal run time for the AC. So my first question is how to disable the logging? I can access the AC via SSH.

2. My early observations say that the problem happens on 5GHz only. I am not sure and do not test it any more because I need the high connection speed.

Is there anybody who can confirm (and hopefully fix) this strange behaviour of the AC. In case of error, there is no abnormal indication of the blue LEDs. Fritz!Box reports still a connection via WLAN but no ping possible to the AC and it's clients. With the right combination the problem is 100% reproducible. Any help is appreciated!

Save yourself the grief and set up the Asus in Access Point mode - run an Ethernet cable between Fritz box and Asus..

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!