What's new

RT-AC56U with Merlin - 2.4GHz clients won't connect at 300Mbps

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mike_

New Around Here
Hi,

I have an RT-AC56U running Merlin 378.50.

I'm trying to get Mac clients to connect to 2.4GHz at the ~300Mbps data rate. They achieve this on the old router that's being replaced, with with the ASUS they only connect at 144Mbps. I've tried forcing the channel wide to 40MHz and forcing N-only, but even with these settings the clients say they have a 20MHz channel. Any ideas?

Regards

Hi,

I have an RT-AC56U running Merlin 378.50.

I'm trying to get Mac clients to connect to 2.4GHz at the ~300Mbps data rate. They achieve this on the old router that's being replaced, with with the ASUS they only connect at 144Mbps. I've tried forcing the channel wide to 40MHz and forcing N-only, but even with these settings the clients say they have a 20MHz channel. Any ideas?

Try a different channel, however note that getting 40 MHz width to work on the 2.4 GHz is near impossible these days. Just too much interference on that band, you need to move to the 5 GHz band for any performance-intensive usage.

Just because your previous router ignored the interference and still allowed you to set it at 40 Mhz does not mean it was stable or compliant with regulations (routers are now required to downgrade to 20 MHz whenever they detect interference).

No problems here with my AC56U, I am getting a reported 270Mbps using default settings + wizard setup for WPA2 + password.
Note in relation to what RMerlin says, I see negotiated speeds drop frequently (I live in a busy 2.4mhz neighbourhood).

Thanks guys. We were getting about 18MB/sec actual throughput on the old router, but the ASUS is giving 8MB/sec. (The good news is I saw a peak of 68MB/sec over 5GHz!).

Based on your replies, I moved our old router to channel 11, and did a site survey. In total there are three nearby 2.4GHz networks all on channel 11, and one 5GHz network on channel 36. I set our ASUS router to channel 1 with a forced 40MHz channel width, but the clients still only get a 144Mbps reported connection rate on a 20MHz channel, and 8MB/sec actual throughput.

My Mac which is in the same room as the ASUS router reports RSSI -16, and noise -80. The old router is showing RSSI -21 and noise -76. I'm not sure how to interpret these.

All I can suggest is trying channel width of 20/40 and if that does not help, set channel itself to auto.
Make sure that you are using WPA2 and AES.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!