What's new

RT-AC66N Dropping Connection Issue, Tried Updating Firmware...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

redsoxfanatic76

New Around Here
I have been running the last version of the firmware for this router RT-AC66U_3.0.0.4_374.34_0.zip, and everything was running great for months until a couple of days ago. Suddenly, there would be random connection drops. Tried resetting everything, modem and router, and still had issues. Checked the Merlin site and saw there had been an update in the firmware in July '15, so I thought perhaps updating the firmware would resolve everything, but it's still doing the same thing.

I'm running an Ethernet cable to my second floor that is connected to an RT-N12 so that I can have WiFi upstairs as well. I'm also hard wired through this to multiple devices. I don't seem to lose internet on the computers, but they do seem much slower than normal, even though speed tests show exactly what I'm supposed to be getting.

I've got a PS4 hardwired into the main router, and that has lost connection on a couple of occasions. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I hope it's not time to have to buy a new router. I love being able to download torrent files through Download Master. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Also, I'm not too tech savvy, so if you could perhaps dumb it down a little, it would be nice :)

When you updated the firmware did you perform a reset after you update? That can help sometimes. If you can check temperatures than make sure they're within safe limits and check the PSU. It might be an unstable PSU so try another that fits that uses the same voltage but higher amp output.

Sometimes the drop may be on the WAN side and not LAN so when your connection drops is it on LAN or WAN? Verify this by pinging the router when it drops.

A reset to factory defaults along with manually and minimally configuring the router to secure it and connect to your ISP is highly recommended (do not use a backup cfg file to restore your settings after flashing the new firmware).

I would also suggest new ssid's for both bands too. Or, 'forget' and re-associate each device one by one instead.