What's new

RT-AC66R 380.65 w/Ooma Telco connection issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nitro001

Regular Contributor
I have the RT-AC66R router and for the most part it does everything I need it to do and Merlin has extended the functionality and life of this router with newer firmwares. I am running the latest 380.65 firmware with no major issues; however, every once in a while some firmwares cause weird reponse issues with my Ooma telco system (VoIP). It is connected via a Wireless connection with the Ooma telco wireless adapter and while the adapter is fussy (for example, it doesn't reset if router is reset) it works well.

When we make calls we will get drops and either have trouble hearing the other person or vise versa and I can see from the Ooma web stats, that we are loosing a lot of packets, close to 9% on the last call. I can't connect Ooma via wired connection as the phone jack is across the room from the cable modem jack. Not sure who wired my apartment, but that's besides the point. Some firmware versions I have not seen this issue and others I do, but can't quite put my finger on why.

I have tried enabling the traffic manager so I can prioritize all the traffic from Ooma, but that slows it all down since it disables hardware NAT acceleration. I am also considering setting up an older N router in DD-WRT wireless client bridge mode to use instead of the Ooma wireless adapter, but I would need to buy an old cheap router since my old Linksys E3000 overheated.

Has anyone else run into this with a VoIP system and the RT-AC line? If so, was there a fix?

Thanks,
Nathan

Not sure this helps... But for test purposes you may wish to get a long phone (RJ11) wire and/or long Lan/Network cable. (To make sure it works wired, firstly.) And for my setup with RT-AC68 and an old Linksys PAP2T to work, I need to have SIP Pass-through set to Enable (as opposed to Disabled or Enabled + NAT Helper.) Something to check..

Are you using adaptive qos. If so, are you sure ooma traffic is being identified as VOIP.

If you do, I got some news for you.