What's new

RT-AC66R, dual WAN and telnet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Walter Folz

New Around Here
Hello all,

I changed my router configuration yesterday to dual WAN - failover; so far, everything is working as expected.
What I find problematic is to know which WAN is in use; if both links are up, both of them appear as "connected" on the web interface. The only way I find to see it via web is by checking the system log.

So, I did a telnet connection, and checked with ifconfig, but what I see are both vlans up. Is there any command or file I can check via telnet to identify which WAN is in use by the router at any time?

My first guess is with the route command (one vlan as metric 0, while the other one has metric 1), but I do not know if this is an absolute rule to validate it.

Thanks!

I don't use Dual WAN, but I vaguely remember that, at one point, the router's main page would show the second connection as being "standby" or something like that.

I don't use Dual WAN, but I vaguely remember that, at one point, the router's main page would show the second connection as being "standby" or something like that.
Thanks RMerlin, but as far as I tested, both connections appear on screen as "connected"; there is no mention about which one is the current connection.
My connections come from two different broadband routers, so it is quite easy to look at the routers and see which one is showing traffic on their own interface, but my idea is to know which one is active (preferable by telnet) to do some automation or scripting (i.e., obtain traffic statistics about how reliable is each provider, or reset the faulty wan router automatically).
In any case, I am still studying it, and if any solution appears I will post it for reference.

Are you using Asus's 378_4850 beta? Asus made a lot of changes related to Dual WAN since the previous 376_xxxx releases (the 376 codebase is about a year old). You can alternatively try my firmware, which is based on 378_4980.

I am truly sorry for the huge delay to answer this. I ran into some issues when upgrading, so I did a fallback to 3.0.0.4.376_3861-g11c21b3. On this version, however, the WAN connection is properly shown as Active and Standby in the web interface. I did not check yet the status via telnet, will do it later.

BTW, I saw there is a new beta version, called 3.0.0.4.378.6117. The release note shows several updates related to the firewall, so I think it worth the shot.

Since this post has been opened about dual WAN monitoring and the issue seems solved in the web interface, we can consider it solved. Thank you one more time for your time and patience!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!