What's new

RT-AC66R General Log Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

latinkreationz

Occasional Visitor
I searched for discussion on this and couldn't find anything so I apologize if this has already been a topic. I just purchased and installed my router on Friday. I am running Server 2012 Essentials with a few of my clients joined to the domain. When I look at the general log for the server, the following entry comes up for my server and the clients that are domain joined:

dnsmasq-dhcp[575]: Ignoring domain RJUNLIMITED.local for DHCP host name
ROBERT-LAPTOP

Is there something special I should be setting up on the router so that it's not ignoring my server domain? Or is this normal?

Thanks in advance for your help!

If you are running a DC, then the DHCP duties should be handled by the DC, not by the router.

Same with DNS services, as you want your clients to register in the server's DNS.

If you are running a DC, then the DHCP duties should be handled by the DC, not by the router.

Same with DNS services, as you want your clients to register in the server's DNS.

I'm using my router for DHCP handling. My domain joined clients were setup using the connector so the DNS is automatically pointed to the server when I'm connected locally.

I assume you already specified your domain on the LAN -> DHCP page?

Beyond that, I have no idea. I have never worked on a domain environment where the DHCP wasn't managed by the DC itself.

That I did not do. I moved from using Linksys routers and never had to fill in the domain field. So I guess I would just use my current domain in that field? I'll give it a try.

That I did not do. I moved from using Linksys routers and never had to fill in the domain field. So I guess I would just use my current domain in that field? I'll give it a try.

Yeah, otherwise I don't think hosts will be getting the correct domain.

Ok I got it figured out. I had to add my server's IP as DNS under LAN -> DHCP Server. Thanks for all the feedback! I'll be installing your firmware soon. :)

Can either of you/someone be more specific on the exact setting I need to use here?
My wife works from home and connects to her VPN. I get the following error in the log exactly as you had latinkreationz "dnsmasq-dhcp[569]: Ignoring domain pharmaaw.com for DHCP host name PARMBL1744"
How do I figure the IP address to add to the DNS field under LAN - DHCP server?
Will that screw anything up for all the personal devices I have on the network?

Thanks in advance.

Can either of you/someone be more specific on the exact setting I need to use here?
My wife works from home and connects to her VPN. I get the following error in the log exactly as you had latinkreationz "dnsmasq-dhcp[569]: Ignoring domain pharmaaw.com for DHCP host name PARMBL1744"
How do I figure the IP address to add to the DNS field under LAN - DHCP server?
Will that screw anything up for all the personal devices I have on the network?

Thanks in advance.

In your case, you're going to see that error because your wife's laptop is domain joined to her corporate network. There's nothing you need to do because you don't have a DC. Anytime a device that is DC joined connects to your network, you're going to see that error. You can safely ignore it.

thanks for the reply latin. so in other words, its her VPN connection having the issue, not the home network?