What's new

RT-AC66U (378.55 Merlin) with Macbook Air (2013) 5ghz wifi speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Skywalker

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I'm trying to find out, what my max. wireless speed is with my Macbook Air (2013) combined with my RT-AC66U.

I use the 5Ghz band and my internet connection is 200 / 20 Mbit/s (down/up)

When I do a speedtest with cable I reach the 200 Mbit, but when I use my wireless connection I get 140/150 max.

Is this the limit or should I get higher wireless speeds?

With your hardware you should be able to get your ISP supplied speeds wirelessly at close (less than about 25 feet) distances with little or no obstacles in-between.

Do you have hardware acceleration enabled on the router? Check on the Tools tab (on the left) and the Network section (at the bottom of the page).

Are you running with 40 channel widths?

Have you tried different channels?

Do you have your antennae in the \|/ configuration instead of |||?

Is the router at least 10' above ground level (earth) and does it have about 3' free air all around?

Some of the above may help you to maximize your WiFi signal.

Hi,

I'm trying to find out, what my max. wireless speed is with my Macbook Air (2013) combined with my RT-AC66U.

I use the 5Ghz band and my internet connection is 200 / 20 Mbit/s (down/up)

When I do a speedtest with cable I reach the 200 Mbit, but when I use my wireless connection I get 140/150 max.

Is this the limit or should I get higher wireless speeds?

You're actually in the ballpark for 802.11ac on a 2-stream client (MacBook Air 2013 and later are 2-stream clients) - take away the WiFi overhead, and you're doing pretty good WLAN to WAN...

Ethernet on an Apple Thunderbolt adapter will be faster as it's gigabit - the Apple USB adapter is 10/100, but useful in a pinch...

example thru-put on a dedicated Gigabit host - see below

This is 802.11ac on a AC1900 class AP from about 3 1/2 feet away (little over 1 meter)

MacBookAir_2014_ac_quicktest.png

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!