What's new

RT-AC66U came with firmware for RT-AC66R, 3.0.0.4.202

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kritiker

Occasional Visitor
An RT-AC66U I purchased today lists its firmware version as 3.0.0.4.202. Yes I mean 202.

This firmware is listed at RT-AC66R Downloads as the initial firmware for the RT-AC66R, followed by 3.0.0.4.246 and 3.0.0.4.260.

Despite coming with RT-AC66R firmware, the router box and the router itself claim it is an RT-AC66U and it was not bought at a Best Buy (where RT-AC66Us are reportedly sold as RT-AC66Rs).

The Authentication Method list that my router shows me under Wireless | General looks like that described for the RT-AC66R at the Asus web site when comparing the RT-AC66U to the RPT-AC66R. It includes Radius with 802.1x, for example.

I don't know what to make of it.

The discussion in Asus RT-AC66R vs. RT-AC66U doesn't help.

Edit: I had initially searched for 3.0.0.40.202 and found little. Once I searched this forum for RT-AC66R I found a number of posts that explain this somewhat.

Last edited:
Both routers are exactly the same. It's just different SKU number to distinguish both models based on which reseller sells them. Just don't worry about it, and update to the latest firmware of whichever model you want - the only difference will be in the name.

The ASUS RT-AC66R has a newer Utility version 4.2.6.5 (9/16/2012) than the AC66U. Will this Utility also work on the RT-AC66U?

The latest Utility version for the AC66U is 4.2.6.0 (6/13/2012).

The ASUS RT-AC66R has a newer Utility version 4.2.6.5 (9/16/2012) than the AC66U. Will this Utility also work on the RT-AC66U?

The latest Utility version for the AC66U is 4.2.6.0 (6/13/2012).

Not entirely sure, you would have to try it. But I suspect it should work.

According to file wlanupdate.txt my RT-AC66U (with the RT-AC66R firmware) came with RT-AC66U version of the utilities, version 4260.

I fully believe that the RT-AC66U and RT-AC66R are the same router but the strange combination of firmware from one of these and utilities and labeling etc. from the other is intriguing.

Everything about mine screams RT-AC66U except (so far) for the firmware version it came with.

FWIW:
The Router UI tells me it is RT-AC66U with firmware 3.0.0.202.
File wlanupdate.txt (from the RouterSetup directory on the Asus Utility CD) tells me I have the utilities for a RT-AC66U, version 4260.
The box tells me I have an RT-AC66U with a UPC of 8 86227 2138 9 and an EAN (European UPC) of 4 716659 214380, firmware 3.0.0.202 and that it is hardware version A1 manufactured in China in 2012.

Last edited:
I have now seen the RT-AC66Us with the 3.0.0.4.202 firmware at two different stores. I am wondering if this was just a way for Asus to ship them with a firmware version after 3.0.0.4.166 or 3.0.0.4.188 (but before 3.0.0.4.220) and it just hasn't been included in the list of official RT-AC66U firmware.

At the second store, I also found what I take to be earlier RT-AC66Us with the older RT-AC66U firmware 3.0.0.4.140, earlier serial numbers, earlier MAC id numbers but hardware revision A2, a labeling error (from the RT-N66Us) I assume.

I have been a long-time, satisfied, Asus motherboard user but as a new Asus RT-AC66U owner this kind of sloppiness, if that is what it is, concerns me.

It's possible that a batch was shipped with an interim release to take care of some critical issues, but they didn't make a public release because they were still working on it.

Also, I remember that the 3.0.0.4.20x builds were those they sent us betatesters during the AiCloud betatest, so they might have included it in a shipped batch just so the router would ship with the AiCloud code in (as the packaging box might have specified the AiCloud feature). That's just a guess tho.

Anyway, wouldn't be the first time I see a device from some company being shipped with a firmware release that isn't available publicly. Sometimes they are just emergency fixes, and they can't delay manufacturing long enough for the full-fledged release, so they ship with an intermediary release.

That might explain it. The 202 firmware had to serve some purpose other than being put on product destined for a certain channel. Thanks.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!