What's new

RT-AC66U Print Server Problems

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ACFerguson

New Around Here
I have had problems...
I upgraded the firmware to 3.0.0.4.188 and the problems persist.

The AC66U is set up fine and works fine as a router. However, I can't seem to get the printer to work on it. The printer is a Lexmark T520 c/w two trays (one legal, and one 500 sheet letter) and 8MB RAM.

I downloaded and ran the ASUS EZ print share utility. I followed the instructions for setting the printer up using the LPR protocol.

What happens is that the test page prints fine. But, if I try to print a subsequent test page (or anything else) I get a printer error and have to cancel the print job. If I leave it, the printer will (after a few minutes) start printing "//" at the top of each page until the 500 page tray is empty! I found this out the hard why when I left my office to go and have supper. When I came back, the printer had printed off 500 pages of...well, nothing! And, i can't reuse the paper as it causes jams because of the slight curl in the paper now. So, I've been very careful with "testing" since then. But, I still can't get this to work correctly.

And, yes, the printer works perfectly when it is connected via USB directly to the PC.

I'm hoping that someone might be able to assist me with this.

Thanks,

AC

Work Around

I was having this same issue, then noticed the post above about a limited number of compatible printers with the ASUS routers and its EZ printer sharing feature. The workaround I found was:

1) uninstall the EZ Print software from your PC

2) set the printer as a Shared Printer via your PC "Devices and Printers"

3) follow the instructions from ASUS on using LPR (2nd option) via www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/114024

After doing this on three separate Windows laptops (Vista, 7, and 8.1) they all printed successful test pages and subsequently printed documents flawlessly. I hope this helps!

Another Work Around...

My instructions to get a printer connected to ASUS Router RT-AC66R using EZ printer share.

Connect printer to USB port in ASUS router. Turn on printer. Install printer driver on Windows 7 (64 bit) computer. (Download printer driver if necessary)

Login to ASUS router site as admin (192.168.1.1). Go to USB Application Tab. Go to Network Printer Server. Click on "Download Now!" Download and save printer.zip file. Unzip and run printer.exe program.

Here comes the important parts!

Try this first:
In Windows, go to Devices & Printers. Select Add a Printer, Add a network wireless or bluetooth printer. Does the new printer automatically come up on Search for available printers? If yes, click on printer and finish install.

If no, follow directions below.
Go to Windows, Administrative Tools, Print Management. Go to Printer Servers, local computer, ports. This port should be listed: USB001 - Virtual printer port for USB. Now go to Printer Servers, local computer, printers. Right click to add printer. Pop-up window says Printer Installation. Select 3rd option: Add a new printer using an existing port. On drop down menu select USB001-Virtual printer port. On next page, select the printer driver to use. On next page choose printer name (I chose to share printer). On final page it should say "Printer Found". Click next and it should complete.

Do not try to print yet.
Restart ASUS router, and restart computer.
Now try to print.
Cheers.

Followed Watchman25 procedure and confirm worked for me, but while it works, it is so slow that I would actually say unusable.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!