What's new

RT-AC66U weird behaviour since 378.50

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

grunf

New Around Here
I updated to Asuswrt-Merlin 378.50 a few weeks ago from 376.47 (had to do a factory reset) but only noticed this today.
I used to use MAC filtering (it worked fine) and after upgrading I initially didn't bother setting the MAC filter up again. I tried to do it today and I discovered that it MAC filtering wasn't working.
After looking around a bit, I saw that almost all of the wireless devices (there were about 9 showing on the Network Map page, phones, tablets, computers) showed up as wired connections with static IP addresses in the client status table. At least that is what the client status table said. I assume that if the router thinks they are wired, it will not try to apply MAC filter to them when connecting. Why the hell would it think that, I have no idea. I had three manually assigned IP adresses on the network (two wired, one wireless), and one static, claimed by the wireless printer, nothing else.
But it gets weirder.
So far I have tried disabling and enabling MAC filtering, rebooting, changing WPA keys, updating to 378.51, resetting to factory defaults (from browser), resetting to factory defaults (via the button).
Currently, after the button factory reset, I am running the router with the factory default SSIDs -ASUS and ASUS_5G (I normally use different SSID), WPA2-Personal authentication, AES encryption and a new WPA key. I haven't changed anything on any of the wireless devices in the house.
They are all still connected to the router!
The Network Map page still shows them as wired connections with static addresses. They themselves, show that they are connected to the network with the old (pre-reset) SSID, for which they had to use the old WPA key.
What is going on? Am I missing something here?
Does anybody have any suggestions?
Thanks.

Everybody please ignore the above post.
I was stupid :oops:, I completely forgot about the access point used by the housemates at the other end of the house (connected with a cable to the RT-AC66).
Which pretty much explains everything...
Mea culpa. :(

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!