What's new

rt-ac66u weird performance issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ignorantcumquat

New Around Here
Hi!

I am facing a really strange performance issue with my AC66U.

The speeds are extremely inconsistent. Using speed tests I can get 0.5mb one minute and 10mbit another and 50mbit a final time off the same device(you can feel these speeds when browsing). This is on both the 2.4 and 5ghz spectrums. Both with N only enabled or auto. I have tried moving the channel to one completely empty per inSSIDer but it has not helped.

The particularly strange part is that when I enable guest mode and connect to it, I consistently (on all devices tried) get the full 110mbps my ISP provides when testing.

As a theory I tried disabling security, since the guest is an open network, but that did not help. I have tried resetting the router to factory, using both the latest merlin and latest stock, and changing the network names. None of it seems to help.I was hoping for some suggestions of other things I may be able to check.

Unplug your modem for 30 seconds plug it back in. Turn your router off and give the modem 2 minutes to fully reboot than turn the router on. Than see what happens.

Did your ISP give you a modem or a modem/router combo? Cause if it is a modem/router combo it needs to be bridged to be able to use your own personal router. It may also be you have a defective unit.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!