What's new

RT-AC66U wired download speed limited to 230 Mbps, without router 320 Mbps

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

robot99

New Around Here
Recently I noticed my max download speed at speedtest.net is around 230 Mbps (wired), in the past it used to be around 320 Mbps consistently. Still fast but I'd like to get back to what I was paying for (Ultimate 300 Mbps / Time Warner). If I bypass the router and wire the computer straight to the modem I get back to the 320 Mbps so it definitely looks like something with the router. This change happened in the last couple months or so, maybe related to latest firmware. Anyone see this before?

QoS is off, I also reset to factory defaults and didn't see any change.

One odd thing is if I unplug the router connection and replug it back in, the first test at speedtest.net will go to 320Mbps but then the next test will drop down to 230 Mbps and remain that way.

I switched to the latest beta ASUS firmware 3.0.0.4.378_4850 but still getting the same results. I haven't tried any third party firmwares, I might try that if all else fails.

Update - I flashed to the latest Tomato firmware but performance was worse, about 170 Mps max download and wireless coverage very weak. I then flashed back to the ASUS firmware and speed has been back to 320 Mbps. So probably something to do with the full firmware and NVRAM reset.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!