What's new

RT-AC66W, Slow Linuxmint (Ubuntu) Wireless-N Connection [SOLVED]

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

WSkibum

New Around Here
I'm new to the forum and Asus-Merlin but have a fair amount of experience with DD-WRT and Tomato. I recently purchased the RT-AC66W, did some homework, and loaded up Merlin (380.58) to check it out. All laptops, TVs, and tablets worked perfectly except my LinuxMint 17.3 (Ubuntu) laptop with an internal Intel Centrino 1000 wireless-n card. The Bit Rate quickly (within minutes) dropped from 150Mb to 1Mb and all web browsing effectively stopped, some reporting "no internet connection" though it was still connected.

My searches all seemed to conclude with disabling N in favor of G, not a real solution. After upgrading to 380.59 and the latest stock Asus firmware with no change I moved on to Tomato by Shibby (version 1.28, release 132) and the problem disappeared.

I actually prefer the Merlin interface to Tomato and would love to go back but I need my Linuxmint laptop to have connectivity. Is there any information that I can provide that would facilitate investigating this issue?

As a newcomer, please forgive me if I have posted this in the wrong area.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks!

I'll do some searching to see if I can find a newer pkg for installation. It does make me wonder that if the problem is on the linux side why Tomato works.

If anyone knows of a current pkg for wireless-regdb, please share. :)

Thanks!

I'll do some searching to see if I can find a newer pkg for installation. ....

If anyone knows of a current pkg for wireless-regdb, please share. :)

I don't know if this help you or not? But doing a 'Ubuntu - Package Search' for 'wireless-regdb' shows 'xenial' and 'yakkety' having 'wireless-regdb 2015.07.20'.

I installed the 'xenial' package over my existing LM 17.3 'wireless-regdb 2013.02.13' without getting any dependency errors (click on 'xenial', then on the resulting page clicked the 'All' link which take one to a list of available download servers...)

Then from a terminal window:
Code:
sudo dpkg -i wireless-regdb_2015.07.20-1ubuntu1_all.deb

I don't know if this help you or not? But doing a 'Ubuntu - Package Search' for 'wireless-regdb' shows 'xenial' and 'yakkety' having 'wireless-regdb 2015.07.20'.

I installed the 'xenial' package over my existing LM 17.3 'wireless-regdb 2013.02.13' without getting any dependency errors (click on 'xenial', then on the resulting page clicked the 'All' link which take one to a list of available download servers...)

Then from a terminal window:
Code:
sudo dpkg -i wireless-regdb_2015.07.20-1ubuntu1_all.deb

This is exactly what I needed, Thanks!! Installing now, I'll report back after I reflash with Merlin and test.

You guys are the best!

I reloaded Asus-Merlin 380.59 and so far so good. Bit rate is consistent @ 150Mb/s and connection throughput is consistent.

Thanks to john9527 and martywd for their quick and valuable responses!

And my thanks to martywd for finding the package....I could never find it and installed it by hand when I did it.

As to why it worked..maybe tomato is using the same (or a compatible) downlevel db? I know that ASUS has made several updates to the db used by their wireless drivers.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!