What's new

RT-AC68R Firmware Comparison

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Alphasite

Occasional Visitor
I've looked around to see if there was any comparison of the alternative firmwares available for the RT-AC68R but have been unable to find any. Is there one I haven't found?

If not, can someone recommend which one would be best? I need ssh access, snmp monitoring, and remote syslog capabilities. I'd really like Netflow.

This will not be the outside router and/or firewall between my internal network and external network.

I have a mix of systems and OSes that will be connecting.

The RT-AC68R is the same thing as the RT-AC68U, so they share support for the same third party firmware: Asuswrt-Merlin, DD-WRT, Tomato...

I found John9527, a RMerlin fork to be my choice.

The RT-AC68R is the same thing as the RT-AC68U, so they share support for the same third party firmware: Asuswrt-Merlin, DD-WRT, Tomato...

Yes, I knew that. What I can't find is anything comparing the features of the different firmware options.

If they stock clock at 800 MHz (without overclocking), why is my RT-AC68W stock at 1GHz out of the box? Is it the Rev. B1 doing that?

If they stock clock at 800 MHz (without overclocking), why is my RT-AC68W stock at 1GHz out of the box? Is it the Rev. B1 doing that?

Yes, newer hardware revisions got a clock bump at 1 GHz.

To start I've loaded Merlin 380.59. There's no IPv6, which I didn't mention as one of my needed features since I didn't expect any of the third party firmwares not to support it. It does support SNMPv3 but doesn't allow setting the username from the GUI.

Tomorrow I'll try another one.

To start I've loaded Merlin 380.59. There's no IPv6, which I didn't mention as one of my needed features since I didn't expect any of the third party firmwares not to support it.

I offer the exact same IPv6 support as the native firmware, including native DHCP-PD, 6in4, 6to4, 6rd, etc...

I offer the exact same IPv6 support as the native firmware, including native DHCP-PD, 6in4, 6to4, 6rd, etc...

Interesting. I saw no IPv6 menu and when I ssh'ed in there were no IPv6 addresses anywhere. I haven't loaded another firmware. Any idea where to check?

Interesting. I saw no IPv6 menu and when I ssh'ed in there were no IPv6 addresses anywhere. I haven't loaded another firmware. Any idea where to check?

It's right there underneath WAN:

ipv6_menu.png

Either try another browser or do a full reset to factory defaults and then minimally and manually configure the router to secure it and connect to your ISP (do not use a saved backup config file).

Add - Clear the browser cache on any/all browsers that have touched the UI - things change...

No WAN either on that screenshot - this router is in AP or Repeater mode, not in router mode. While in AP mode, your router is nothing more than a bridge with a wireless interface. It has no WAN interface, therefore there's no service that requires an IPv6-specific configuration. This is all handled by the main router fronting the Internet (including router advertisement).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!