What's new

RT-AC68R question on VPN profiles and hardware version

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

raylock

Occasional Visitor
I purchased an RT-AC68R at Walmart for $149. The price is less than I see listed other places but there is a couple of issues which lead me to believe that maybe I should return it. First, the hardware version is A1 which I understand is the oldest version with the slowest chip. I don't have any idea, however, whether there would be any real world performance difference or other reasons that I should opt for the B1 version. The second potential issue is that only one of the 10 VPN profiles which can be stored in the VPN client section of the router can be OpenVPN. The other 9 must be something else. I don't know if this is a design limitation or if the unit I got is defective. I raised this question with Asus CS and they told me that is the design of the unit. But, quite honestly, I have very little confidence that the person I was talking to really knows. My reason for putting VPN in the router is so I can just leave it on and my wife will not have to fool with it, so it will need to work well streaming online movies in HD (not 4K). The router will be supplementing a FIOS router supplied by Verizon. The FIOS router will be behind the Asus router and will be used only for TV purposes (guide and on demand) If someone can give me some clarification, guidance or an opinion on either of these potential issues concerning the RT-AC68R, I would be grateful.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!