What's new

rt-ac68u and dsl-ac68u firmware question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Why it must be that way? And not the opposite? "working fine" posts?

In a rhetorical sense, as well as a literal sense - nobody ever complains if it works...

They botch.moan if it doesn't - see all the threads, and you should know better than to even bring this up...

Yes, you and I have the skills to do that build, so does Eric and John, doesn't mean it's right for the community...

I personally don't have any interest on it, no DSL line (thankfully), no DSL-AC68U...

But i think even if i had it (DSL line) I would prefeer using a normal router like RT-AC68U connected to the ISP bridged DSL modem.

DSL-AC68U is overpriced compared to RT-AC68U and it has more limitations, you can only use it with a DSL line, that makes it a bad decision IMO.

But once again if someone knows what he is doing, it could be the right / good thing for the community, It would be just one more fork like so many others out there.

Last edited:
you can only use it with a DSL line, that makes it a bad decision IMO.

um it has dual wan and ewan mode and usb modes , so can be used tethered to an andriod phone or 3g/4g stick , can be used as a standard wireless router just like an rt-ac68u or used with adsl / vdsl

the dsl-ac68u is more expensive because it has the built in vdsl modem making it perfect for most normal households that only want 1 device doing the internet and dont care about anything 3rd party and yes it may shock you but that is pretty much 95% of all users

Like I told before i wouldnt buy it for that reason, 4xLAN + 1xWAN (RJ11/DSL), I would prefeer using an simple model like Linksys AM200 or similar with a RT-AC68U instead.

If you go from DSL line to a difference service like CABLE or FIBER you how you will use your DSL-AC68U?

When you mean DUAL WAN you refeering to DSL + USB right?

When you mean DUAL WAN you refeering to DSL + USB right?

any combination of

ethernet \ usb \ adsl \vdsl

or any of them on their own

If you go from DSL line to a difference service like CABLE or FIBER you how you will use your DSL-AC68U?

then you set it to ethernet mode as its connection method

see

https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1016292/

so its quite versatile as to how and what it can be setup for

and uses less power and takes up less space than a separate bridged modem and wireless router

again there is only a small percentage of the over all user base that even care about or want separate routers and 3rd party fw

the only thing the dsl-ac68u hasnt got is the operation modes eg access point mode or repeater mode or media bridge mode

Very interesting, I always thought there was no possibility on DSL ASUS routers FW to alocate a LAN port to the WAN, so it seems a good aproach and solution after all, the only negative side is loosing 1x LAN port, but i guess that's not that bad at the end, which makes it a great all in one device.

But still missing the 3rd party FW support, which by many is a very important part but like i said before it can be "easily" forked.

Thank you for sharing the info.

I think dsl-ac68u is most complete than RT model because support more connections type without bridge modem. I had adsl (10 MB) and now ftth (300MB simetric) and DSL-AC68U works so fine in ethernet WAn mode.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk for iPad

I have dsl-ac68u too and I am interested in using it as router only too. If anyone can test and confirm it, let us know. Thanks!

an user comment works fine in YouTube vídeo, but nobody here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have dsl-ac68u too and I am interested in using it as router only too. If anyone can test and confirm it,

the dsl-ac68u can already be run as a wireless router by selecting ethernet as the wan connection method

first i am sorry bad grammer - hello guy's i am new here :) i need help this routers firmware so i try merlin tomato dd-wrt firmware's not working because i using dsl-n66u so you say rt and dsl ac68u same processors and ram but this not same i bored this firmware i want to do overclock and i am not undestood busybox :) i try set cpu_freq=400 not working 310 not working i try debug not working i need help :(
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_DSL-N66U
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_RT-N66U
note - router cooling with fan

Attachments

• post photo.png
    post photo.png
    193.6 KB · Views: 466
  • P_20161025_001658.jpg
    P_20161025_001658.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 457
It should be specified that the modem WONT work however, since I would expect the majority of DSL-AC68U owners to own that because they needed the DSL modem. A lot of people will be confused, and expect it to work. Such as what the original poster in this thread wrote.
yeah i will need to update it and specifi that dsl part doesnt work . curious what would it take to implement the dsl into the firmware ?

first i am sorry bad grammer - hello guy's i am new here :) i need help this routers firmware so i try merlin tomato dd-wrt firmware's not working because i using dsl-n66u so you say rt and dsl ac68u same processors and ram but this not same i bored this firmware i want to do overclock and i am not undestood busybox :) i try set cpu_freq=400 not working 310 not working i try debug not working i need help :(
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_DSL-N66U
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_RT-N66U
note - router cooling with fan
merlin and open dwrt will load wifi doesnt work with wifi with the dsl-ac68u

yeah i will need to update it and specifi that dsl part doesnt work . curious what would it take to implement the dsl into the firmware ?

Someone with a DSL-AC68U, and the time, skill and willingness to merge the missing GPL components into the code, and actively maintaining it every time Asus makes a firmware change that breaks backward compatibility with the previous closed-source components.

It's a lot of work, and you are highly dependent on Asus's own release schedule. Since they don't update the GPL as often for these DSL models, it means that half of the time you would not be able to update the rest of the firmware until they provided the community with an updated version for that specific model.

The current amount of closed source parts of the firmware have made it virtually impossible to support both the frequently updated models AND the less frequently updated ones at the same time.

I look forward to installing RMerlin's firmware on my DSL-AC68U as I changed from ADSL to fiber optic in my second house. However, I will probably wait a little longer to see if any major problems came up. Thank you for sharing about this.

um it has dual wan and ewan mode and usb modes , so can be used tethered to an andriod phone or 3g/4g stick , can be used as a standard wireless router just like an rt-ac68u or used with adsl / vdsl

the dsl-ac68u is more expensive because it has the built in vdsl modem making it perfect for most normal households that only want 1 device doing the internet and dont care about anything 3rd party and yes it may shock you but that is pretty much 95% of all users
Thanks for being VDSL users' voice out there [emoji3]

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

"the only thing the dsl-ac68u hasnt got is the operation modes eg access point mode or repeater mode or media bridge mode"

Are you sure of this? I have a DSL-AC68u and I believe it has those operation modes.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

yeah i will need to update it and specify that dsl part doesnt work . curious what would it take to implement the dsl into the firmware ?

@TylerComputereGuru: You've mentioned twice already that you were going to update the youtube video, yet you STILL haven't done so. Like RMerlin said, you need to make it VERY CLEAR that by flashing merlin on a DSL-AC68U will disable the modem! Your video has just waisted 3 hours of my time! And i'm pretty sure most of the other 3,309 view users as well. Or even better, delete the video, its inaccurate and you also do not follow the ASUS guidelines for flashing. :mad:

Anyway, moving on... I'm going to fork the latest branch and see if I can get the modem working. I'll provide an update, and if I can get it to work, I'll share the modem-enabled custom firmware.

Just FYI, I didn't get it working for my DSL-AC68U with PPPOE connection on any port on any of these firmwares: 380.63-380.64-380.65Beta1,4. For some reasons, it just keeps saying WAN is not connected, while the LED of LAN port that is set to be WAN port is on.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!